Rogue River, Wild and Scenic section

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Rogue River, Wild and Scenic section

Post by mokelumnekid »

Just returned from my second trip down the Wild and Scenic section of the Rogue in southern Oregon. Something close to 40 miles. Four days, three nights. It is primarily a water trip, although the Rogue River trail follows most of the route. The Rogue was the first river in the Wild and Scenic Rivers Act, and I am happy to report that it is still an amazing experience of dry Coast Range Wilderness. Migrating large salmon, heron, osprey, bear with trundling cubs, etc. It is not a solitary experience as other groups are on the river as well, but there is a reservation system. What is remarkable is how little impact if manifest even at camp spots used almost daily.

I paddled my hard shell kayak, my wife was in an inflatable (IK). The class III rapids are pretty easy pool-and-drop. We went with a commercial outfit that specializes in kayakers, and a number of us were friends from Seattle. Evenings were sublime, and mornings cool and wonderful. Best of all was the almost 70 degree water, a nice change from the icy waters in the Pacific Northwest where I normally paddle.

Joe Bob sez check it out. \:D/
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Rogue River, Wild and Scenic section

Post by Ikan Mas »

My home river. Glad you enjoyed the trip.