Sespe Wilderness in Los Padres?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
AdirondackMike
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by AdirondackMike »

Thanks guys!

I'll definitely be bringing a canister and will have to just learn to live with the mosquitoes I guess since the dates of my trip to California are inflexible and I really like the Sierra.

Another question, although technically this is not the right forum. Does anyone here have experience hiking in Los Padres, specifically the Sespe Wilderness? We will be visiting family in the area and depending on family commitments we may 1-3 nights to spend there as well. We were thinking that we might spend a night at the hot springs. Are the skeeters bad there? Any ideas of things to see or other nice places to camp in the area?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sespe Wilderness in Los Padres?

Post by AlmostThere »

Sespe is what I would call high desert. When the creek is running it is nice, tho there are 10 creek crossings and sometimes the water is a bit high. There were lots of bear tracks on the trail but you will not see one, they are wild there. We also saw a three foot rattlesnake at willets.

I would not go between june - October. It is VERY hot, the creek can dry up leaving you to guess which mineral spring to drink from (a faucet at willetts is the best source, it still tastes of minerals) and unless you are acclimated to hiking at 110F in open sun for miles, not a good summer option.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

You might be better off making the drive to san jacinto wilderness.

If this is an option let me know, and I can answer any question you have. No canister required or needed there!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

The Sespe is a good place to go in April when every place else is too cold. These are pics of the trip with my wife (saint Diane), Emile Sweda and Larry Fike two students of mine. They also played on my Eastmont Middle School 7th grade backetball team. Here they are on the Sespe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AdirondackMike
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by AdirondackMike »

Thanks for the advice. San Jacinto is an option. I know nothing about San Jacinto Wilderness area. Are there some nice 3 day loops in there? Are there running streams? Are the mosquitoes bad in early July? Also, what about the San Gorgonio wilderness? What are the skeeters like there in July?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Oops I missed this...I should have told you to send me a pm

Yes...the area is small, but beautiful. Mosquitoes usually aren't around much, the worst I have ever seen it is a 2 or 3 out of 5. Usually it is a 0 or a 1. A very nice hike is to leave out of Fuller Ridge trailhead. 2 or 3 miles in nets awesome views of the massive prominence north face of San Jacinto Peak. A short 3rd class scramble to the top of an outcrop at the obvious viewpoint nets 270 views of the massive prominence of the north face of san jacinto peak, the desert far below, joshua tree national park, San Bernardino Mountains, San Gabrial Mountains, the Ortegas, Palomar Mountains, and the Pacific Ocean if the air is clear enough. 90% of the time you can see it shimmering through the haze. Before sunset, it glimmers bright orange and is quite a sight at that distance. San Jacinto Peak offers the same view, but better of course and a full 360 degrees. The 10,000 foot drop to the 10 freeway below is something you wont see many places on earth.

Water is up there year round, but sometimes can be tough to find. July should be no problem even in this dry year. North Fork San Jacinto, little round valley, round valley, and tahquitz creek have water year round. You do need to plan accordingly.

Fuller Ridge to Dear Springs Trail to San Jacinto Peak to Long Valley to Hidden Divide to Caramba to Tahquitz Peak to Saddle Junction to Fuller Ridge makes a very nice scenic loop.

I sleep with my food in the tent and use a steri pen. Trails are steep, but usually shady until approaching the peaks. Lots of wildlife birds, squirrels, chip monks, deer, bob cats, mountain lion, and some say bear (I say no bears).

Beautiful wildflowers on the way to caramba and you will see snow plants here and there. There are some old growth trees there as well.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Sparky definitely covered the San Jacinto trails already, but just for an update on current conditions; I was up there this past weekend. We took the Deer Springs trail to Round Valley then over San Jacinto and looped back thru Little Round Valley and back out via Deer Springs. There is water along the trail just before Wellman Divide, some small waterfalls on the way down to R Valley and plenty of water at R Valley and L R Valley camps. Flies but no mosquitos at dusk in camp. It was HOT in Idyllwild but pleasant on trail.

If you're interested in Sespe in the future (spring is best) I did a TR with photos and some video of the area:

http://seatosummitultralight.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun!