We got snow!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

We got snow!

Post by oldranger »

The last few days finally brought the first significant snow to the Oregon Cascades since around Thanksgiving. Got out for the first time this season. Part of our ski involved breaking through 14" of new fluff! Visibililty ranged from 0-50 yards as it was dumping the whole time out. Temp about 20 degrees. Brewpub afterwards was great too!
We got snow!.jpg
Expecting much more with some rain on top. Hope it heads s to the Sierra!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldranger on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: We got snow!

Post by rlown »

lucky bastard!!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I think I'll head out for some snow skiing - first time since my surgeries.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very nice, hopefully after this weekend we can talk about some decent snow levels
down here.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

I love seeing pictures like that. The other day I was watching a news report on the lack of snow in many ski resorts. It was really depressing looking at the bare or barely snow covered slopes. It's good to see it starting to fall more throughout the country.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Granted the original post was a month ago, but I just returned from a trip to Central Washington U. in Ellensburg to give a couple of talks. 'Twas quite a change in climate from dry and mild Fresno. The shuttle ride from Seattle to Ellensburg goes over Snoqualmie Pass. It was snowing lightly on the way over it in early afternoon Thursday and dumping snow as I returned early this morning to Seattle. The shuttle chained up over the pass and was one of a group of vehicles following a squadron of snow plows.

In contrast, the flight from Fresno to Seattle on Thursday morning got a good view of the Sierra that still really doesn't have much snow on it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Love the pic! :D Santa Barbara mountains got a little snow last Saturday, so everyone including me drove up there to see it. It was gone by the afternoon. Mammoth finally got some, but am missing it because of injuries. I haven't been on a board since xmas day. :-/
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;