Trinity Alps question

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Trinity Alps question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

We are headed for a 4-5 day trip into Trinity Alps Thursday or Friday. We are debating if it is better to go up Stuart Creek to Emerald Lake area or go in from Big Flat to Caribou Lakes. This is to be a relaxed fishing trip. I read the FS trail report and there was some snow remaining from the last storm but it probably has melted by now. I am leaning towards the Stuart Creek route because I fly fish and my husband uses lures, so we would have both stream and lake fishing. Plus the drainage faces south so may get more sunlight. I also like the idea of hiking along a creek (water supply issues). But Caribou Lakes looks to be a lot more scenic and I could easily walk up Sawtooth Ridge and look down at Emerald Lake. I hear the trail up from Emerald Lake to Sawtooth Ridge is brutal. It is last weekend of hunting season so I also wonder which trip would be less used by hunters.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trinity Alps question

Post by maverick »

Caribou Lakes Basin is pretty with Caribou Lake having the best campsites out of the
the 3 lakes in the basin, and according to a fishermen friend, fishing isn't all that good, but
sunsets can be great with the mountains, and ridgelines as a backdrop.
My pick would be Emerald Lake with a visit back to Sapphire, and Mirror Lake.
Trout are abundant, nice size too, and the scenery is absolutely gorgeous!
The trail that crosses the Sawtooth Ridge into Caribou Lakes Basin is deserved of it's
nasty reputation, all 100+ switchbacks!!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trinity Alps question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for your input. We decided on Emerald Lake up Stuart Creek. It is a little easier to bail out of there if the weather turns foul. I will post a trip report when we get back!