Mount San Antonio (Baldy) - 4/22/06

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
wingding

Mount San Antonio (Baldy) - 4/22/06

Post by wingding »

Yesterday I headed up the Ski Hut Trail from Manker Flats and then went up the bowl from the Ski Hut. The clouds followed me up the bowl. I decided that I'd head down the Devil's Backbone Trail. A few people that came up it said it was okay conditions. I was doing pretty good staying on or close to the trail until Manker Canyon where I dropped down to avoid a rough section and decided to keep going down the canyon. It was pretty rough traveling in the canyon. I stayed in the canyon until near where I picked up the at about 6,800 feet elevation. Near the bottom of the canyon I found a use or animal trail that took me to the road.

Here are some pictures:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/1391820

I didn't take any pictures in Manker Canyon - I was too busy trying to stay on my feet while navigating through the snow and loose rocks.
wingding

Post by wingding »

i skipped a word. I was trying to say I picked up the road at 6800 feet elevation.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

Nice pictures, Kathy! I especially like the "Cucamongas from the Ski Hut Trail" picture with the low-lying clouds - that one was my favorite.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Looks like a fairly challenging hike. How did you like your La Sportiva Nepals (I assume you have the Extremes)? How were they on snow and rock? Did you wear crampons?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Trekker - Going up the bowl was fairly easy, but coming down Manker Canyon was tough. Crampons weren't needed because the snow was soft. I did put them on for a little while in the bowl when I hit an icy patch, but I didn't need them for long and could have done without them.

Manker Canyon looked okay from the top, but it was rough in places. The canyon was mostly snow filled and where it wasn't it was loose wet rocks. I had to cross back and forth in the canyon to get to the "easier" side. There were sections that I had to downclimb along the edge of the canyon, which wouldn't have been too bad if the rocks were solid. There was a pretty waterfall, but I was struggling along and didn't think to take a picture. Before I left the canyon I didn hit one wide section filled of the canyon were the snow was perfect and I was able to move a bit faster.

My La Sportiva's are the Nepal EVO GTX model, which I think is the latest version of the Extreme. I have them in the women's version. I love them. I bought them to get ready for a Rainier trip this summer and have been wearing them in the local mountains to break them in. Actually, they have been comfortable from the beginning and are great in the snow and I think they'll be warm enough for Rainier in the summer. I haven't been using the padded tongue they come with. The extra weight on my feet does slow me down. The work okay on the rocks - better than I thought they would. I bought them 1/2 size bigger than the size chart suggested and that has worked out good. I guess that's typical with mountaineering boots.

Kathy
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Way to go Kathy! :nod:
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks everyone!

The weather has been interesting down here in Southern California this winter. I was on top of San Gorgonio in February and there was very little snow to deal with and then Saturday on Baldy the amount of snow was almost the same as the third week in April of 2005. It's just been one storm after another since the beginning of March, which is okay by me.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Wingding..beautiful pictures! I too love those low cloud ones..really cool looking.
Thank you for sharing :)