Ventana?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Ventana?

Post by krudler »

Has anyone (mountaineer maybe?) done any hiking/backpacking in the Ventana Wilderness area? I'm thinking of a 3-day trip there with wifey at the end of May (Mem Day) and would be interested in any tips....especially if they include secret spots for C&R flyfishing :D

Thanks in advance!! :)
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

PM me with your e-mail addy. I have a great trip for 2 or 3 nights. It starts with spending the night at the top of Cone Peak.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

I used to hike in the Ventana Wilderness quite abit when I lived Morro Bay. The hike up the Big Sur river to Sykes Hot Springs is a nice trip in the winter. A little too crowded for me though in the warmer months. Very lush and green with nice Coastal Redwoods and intermittant views of the Pacific. LOTS of poison oak.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Skibum wrote:I used to hike in the Ventana Wilderness quite abit when I lived Morro Bay. The hike up the Big Sur river to Sykes Hot Springs is a nice trip in the winter. A little too crowded for me though in the warmer months. Very lush and green with nice Coastal Redwoods and intermittant views of the Pacific. LOTS of poison oak.
How about Salmon Falls? That is spectacular!

The best hike I have done was from Cone Peak trailhead to Trail Springs via Cone Peak Summit. Then on to Goat Camp and Vicente Flats before the 1600' climb back up to the ridge. Gorgeous views almost the whole way. If I was to do it again, I would leave a car at Hwy. 1 and hike down from Vicente Flats.

Last spring my wife and I and two older kids hiked up and spent the night on the deck of the lookout tower on Cone Peak. Wow! Sunset, sunrise, and ferocious winds! Great experience though.
Last edited by mountaineer on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

This is great stuff, guys - thanks, I appreciate it! :)
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
mr.kurt
Topix Acquainted

Post by mr.kurt »

mountaineer wrote:PM me with your e-mail addy. I have a great trip for 2 or 3 nights. It starts with spending the night at the top of Cone Peak.
Hi Mountaineer. I'd be interested in hearing more about this trip that you mention. Would you mind if I PM'd you as well?

Thanks!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Sure. If you'd like, I can post details here of the trip here.