Mt. Harwood, Mt. Baldy & West Baldy -June 27, 2009

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
drhabes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mt. Harwood, Mt. Baldy & West Baldy -June 27, 2009

Post by drhabes »

Despite not having a hiking partner (Andrew stayed up too late packing his mom's car on her journey to Colorado), I decided to give Mt. Baldy a try today. I had originally wanted to bag 5 peaks on this trip (Harwood, Baldy, West Baldy, Dawson and Pine) but soon felt that this was a little too ambitious considering my physical conditioning! It was a bluebird day for sure with temps in the mid 70's.
I got an early start (6:10am from Torrance) and arrived at chair #1 at the Mt. Baldy ski resort at 7:30am. After buying my round trip ticket (this used to be a nominal fee but now costs $18 - talk about inflation!!), I started my journey for the day. There was a light breeze blowing most of the day so the sun was not too unbearable. I'm still not in my best hiking shape so I forgot just what an uphill adventure this was going to be! (2,993 ft. gain/loss) I marked my exit point from the trail (001 on the map) as I traversed up the scree slope of Mt. Harwood.
This wasn't that difficult to gain the top. After a quick break I headed back down and rejoined the main trail (002 on the map). It was an extremely busy day on the backbone trail with many people going up and down.
I reached the top before noon only to be greeted by hoards of hikers!! (My estimate was well over 50!)
I didn't stay too long and decided to have lunch on the top of West Baldy which I hadn't bagged before. Other than two other hikers I had the top to myself!
An amazing view with wonderful solitude and a light breeze. I left just after noon and made it back to the notch by 2pm. Here is a log of my travels:

07:45 am Mt. Baldy ski resort parking lot
08:09 am Baldy Notch
08:56 am Start of backbone of trail
09:55 am Mt. Harwood
11:06 am Mt. Baldy
11:41 am West Baldy
02:01 pm Baldy Notch

This was another amazing day of hiking in SoCal! :nod: The rest of the pics are here.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Harwood, Mt. Baldy & West Baldy -June 27, 2009

Post by Snow Nymph »

Beautiful day! Congrats on West Baldly! I used to do the Labor Day run up there from Manker Flats with 250 people! Ugh!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;