Spring Mtns - Turtlehead, Griffith, Charleston, Fletcher Pea

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Spring Mtns - Turtlehead, Griffith, Charleston, Fletcher Pea

Post by Ranboze »

Turtlehead Peak (6,323) & Sooz's BD Celebration- 05.22.09
Spent Memorial Day weekend 2009 in the Spring Mountains with Sooz, Chip, and Joe. Turtlehead was the perfect warm-up hike for Charleston the following day. We followed the usual route: north in the wash, then up the west gully to a saddle north of the summit. We crossed over to the east side of the peak, traversed southward, then gained to top. Views of the Spring Mountain range were spectacular. We descended via the first steep gully off the summit (southern most gully on west side). Weather was warm, but there was a cool breeze most of the time. We wrapped up the day by a quick visit to the Red Rock visitor center (brand new center not open yet, but looking good), then drove over to Kyle Canyon where we found some BLM land for camping and birthday celebration.
Turtlehead Peak photos

Griffith Peak (11,072) / Charleston Peak (11,915) - 05.23.09
Big mountain, big day! Our route: South Loop trail, out n back. A spectacular day with Sooz, Chip, and Joe. Helpful hint: park at the LOWER Cathedral Rock day use lot along Hwy 157. The TH is inside the Upper CR picnic area and 1) there is an $8/car entry fee, 2) the gate is open only 8a-8p and 3) Mr. Fee collector was less than helpful. The hike from the lower parking area to TH is 0.4 mi. I was amazed at the lack of folks going to the summit; we saw only 3 other parties going to or coming from the summit. The climb to the saddle north of Griffith was the steepest section and we met some snow, but easily crossable and a fun glissade on the descent. Once at the saddle, Joe & Chip headed towards the summit and the 1955 C54 airplane crash site. Sooz and I scooted on up Griffith, which was a fun and short little detour. Once back at the saddle, we began our l-o-n-g whooped dee doo's toward's the summit. We met up with the boys at the crash site, then headed for the barren summit. The long traverse to the summit is amazing, with great views and gorgeous wise bristlecones watching over us. Weather was gorgeous, although a thunderhead settled in to the east and provoked a little concern, but our route was rainfree. About 19 mi RT. Fabu!!!

Griffith/Charleston photos

Fletcher Peak and the Raintree (10,319) - 05.24.09
Sooz and I finished the weekend with an easy stroll to Fletcher Peak. More great views. We got back early enough that we all decided to drive home so we could start on photos and chores!
Fletcher Peak photos

Great weekend... the Spring Mountains definately appealed to me, and I look forward to returning.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Spring Mtns - Turtlehead, Griffith, Charleston, Fletcher Pea

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the photos, love the flowers as usual.
Piece of cake.