San Rafael Wilderness over Thanksgiving

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

San Rafael Wilderness over Thanksgiving

Post by trav867 »

As most of my family lives in Minnesota and I'm in LA, thanksgiving usually is a good time for me to get away for a long weekend. This year the girlfriend and I decided to head to San Rafael wilderness for just one night.

We drove up early Thursday morning, and were at the Nira trailhead by 9:00AM. Nira is about an hour from Santa Barbara and the receding storm meant there were some great clouds/fog on the way in.

San Rafael is a very nice area, and the late fall to early spring temperatures are perfect when snow makes casual trips to the Sierra impossible.
The hike itself was one I had done in May of 2006, but the 2007 Zaca Fire means the area is in a regrowing state.

We hiked NE up the Manzana Creek and were at our campsite, Manzana Narrows, by 1:30.

We spent the few hours before dark exploring the canyon, and had a pleasant 45 degree night.
We hiked out in the morning having had a great quick overnight to an interesting area very different from the high sierra.
Check out the rest of the pictures here: http://www.slide.com/r/wGwBG88Q3j9XZiOyoKtc1cevEEO4fxzW
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: San Rafael Wilderness over Thanksgiving

Post by Snow Nymph »

I like the clouds and fog in the first 2 pix! :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;