Three Sisters and Eagle Cap Wildernesses

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Three Sisters and Eagle Cap Wildernesses

Post by oldranger »

Since I live in Bend Maverick asked if I ever visit Green lakes in the Three Sisters Wilderness or the Eagle Cap Wilderness. The answer is yes. Green lakes is 45 minutes driving time and 2 hours hiking time from my house. I generally get up there at least once a year.
Green Lake South Sister.JPG
After hearing about the Eagle Cap for years I finally got up there on an extended Labor Day trip in 2007. It is beautiful but there are a ton of people. Must have been over a hundred people camped around Mirror Lake about 1800 feet below Eagle Cap Peak. The views are outstanding.
Including Eagle Cap (photo is from my top secret favorite fishing lake)
Eagle Cap.JPG
North of Mirror lake is Matterhorn Mountain. This hand held photo at 1/8 second is a bit fuzzy but you get the idea. This place is crazy beautiful.
Matterhorn.JPG
Except for the spruce trees instead of lodgepole pines much of the area is like the Sierra. I took my wife with me this labor day and she thought it was pretty nice, too, except for the cold and snow we had. She was even more impressed when Telkwa ("Its a small cyborworld" Aug. 31, 2008 posting) and I recognized each other, even though we had never met! We are planning another trip for next year that starts from Wallowa lake then to Aneroid lake and over Polaris pass to lakes basin and back down the Wallowa River to the trailhead. Because of the mosquitos and black flies the Eagle Cap will always be a late season trip for me.

Cheers

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Three Sisters and Eagle Cap Wildernesses

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the pics, nice. One of these days, instead of going south down 395 to visit the southern Sierra, I'll have to head north up to that area.
Piece of cake.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Oldranger:
Thanks for the posting and the great pix. I have fond memories of both of these destinations as well, and your post reminded me of them. Having lived in Oregon for 30 years, bp'ing into Green Lakes and the Wallowas are highlights that I treasure. At Green Lakes, I got to introduce several friends to the high country and extended wilderness backpacking, which I'd conjoled them about for years. It was a truly memorable jaunt, and we had glorious weather during the Leonid meteor shower while we explored the saddles between South and Middle Sister on dayhikes. I introduced my oldest son to backpacking by a visit to the Wallowas with a trip to Mirror Lake via the Lostine River trail. We experienced glorious sunsets, lightning storms, and wildflower-draped sunsets every day we were there. Great times at special places. As much as I treasure times I've spent in the Sierra, still home to my mountain spirit, the Northwest has some truly exceptional backcountry destinations! Thanks again :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I've a friend near Alsea, OR and he really wants to go to Eagle Cap. We like big fish, but have no idea where in the Lakes Basin would be a great spot. Any chance your secret lake holds those big fish?

Russ
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I released 16 and 161/2 inch rainbows this year. Lost 2 at least that size last year. In about 10 hours of fishing I've landed 3 and lost 3. Really, really big bull trout are in the Minam near Reds Horse Ranch.

m
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!