Update on the Modoc Line Rails-to-Trail Project

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Update on the Modoc Line Rails-to-Trail Project

Post by dave54 »

http://bizzjohnsontrail.com/index_files/Page310.htm

As you can see from the map link on the above page, when finished the Bizz Johnson Trail will connect with the Modoc Line, making well over 100 contiguous miles of multi-use trail through the best camping/hiking/mtn biking region in California (Of course I am not biased in any way. :lol: )
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: Update on the Modoc Line Rails-to-Trail Project

Post by hikerduane »

Dave, you ever take advantage of the Rails to Trails Festival in Oct., where they haul you and your mt. bike to Westwood and turn you loose to ride back to Susanville over the Bizz Johnson Trail? Wrong direction for you. It would be neat if they arranged for an overnight trip on the new trail. My butt would be sore after one day.
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I try to do the Fall color ride every year. It is usually scheduled for the last weekend in October. Some years the color is spectacular, like riding through a rainbow. Others years the scheduled date is past prime and the foliage is all brown. Just depends on the weather that year.

The BLM sponsored ride in June is nice too. The wildflowers are usually putting on a show. They stopped doing a July and August ride, as it is usually too hot and dusty. Too few people to charter a bus.

The new trail goes by an existing BLM campground at Sage Hen Pass. I believe part of the master plan is to develop campsites and water sources along the route. There are some dry stretches. However, it does pass pretty close to the saloons in Likely and Madeline. :lol:

I was looking at a map today of the OC&E Line rails-to-trail in Oregon. It runs between Klamath Falls and Bly. If there was only a good trail system between Bly and Alturas...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

The bar in Likely, the one on the corner?:) Seems there was only three businesses there. All together.
Piece of cake.