Las Vegas hiking - Moapa, Magic Mountain, & Crabby Appleton

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Las Vegas hiking - Moapa, Magic Mountain, & Crabby Appleton

Post by tomcat_rc »

Drove over last week to join Sierra Gator and Nordic Lass for a Linkin Park concert on Thursday night. As we are all early risers it turned out to be a 20 hour day for us all. But we still managed to wake up Friday morning with enough energy to drive north to the Mormon Range and hike Moapa Peak. Moapa is fun in that it has a 500ft long knife edge ridge leading to it's summit. We all made it and had a good time. By the time we made it back to the car, we were all bushwhacked tired. Shower, sushi and bed sounded good way to finish off the night

some scrambling in the lower sections

not sure enough of my balance to "walk the plank" the whole way

happy summiteers

rest of pictures: http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/45 ... 8cQ#P-1-15

The next day we met Ron G. and Kenny to do some hiking in the Red Rock Park area. It was my first time hiking in this area and I was fortunate to have some locals who knew the area well. Limestone sure has a different feel than Granite. We summited two peak - Magic Mountain and Crabby Appleton. The routes required scrambling, tunnel crawling and chimneys - and a good time was had by all.

our peaks are to the right of Rainbow:

Sierra Gator and Nordic Lass enjoying the view on this ledge

first try at rappeling

the rest of the photos: http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/44 ... rp3#P-1-15

Thanks again to the Vegas gang for making me feel welcome away from home
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want