Redwoods / Crescent City / Eureka

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Redwoods / Crescent City / Eureka

Post by sambieni »

I have weeklong family trip planned to Redwoods area in early July camping at Del Norte Redwoods campground. Just received notice the 101 south of Crescent City will be closed periodically during the day w waits up to 2 hours expected. Planned this trip months ago, but we're likely now gonna bail if this really is the case so we don't have to worry about our day to/from campground and spending minutes in traffic jams rather than playing.

Curious if anyone has any further intel and how legit this is? I assume should accept at face value as info is via CalTrans. Just trying to weigh how much will upset our vacay and if still worth it or save for another time.

(We just booked Lassen NP's Butte campground as backup so we'll still get away).
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Redwoods / Crescent City / Eureka

Post by Harlen »

That's too bad; have you considered the Mt. Shasta area? I've heard there are some nice spots around there, We have not been, but McArthur-Burney Falls sounds nice, and Castle Crags, and Mt Lassen. How about the trip Wandering Daisy just made? Check out: "4/19-21 Day hiking on the Coast" I hope your family finds a great alternative trip. Good Luck.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:19 pm We have not been, but McArthur-Burney Falls sounds nice
Can confirm, it is a pretty awesome waterfall. But it is right out of the parking lot, and if you do the hike circumnavigating the falls, it's a 2 hr stop at most.
Last edited by c9h13no3 on Wed May 12, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

I agree. But Lassen could easily keep you busy for a few days at least...and even more if you add in backpacking in Caribou or Thousand Lake Wildernesses

And unless COVID has changed the rules, they have showers too
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I just helped a friend move to Crescent City. Note that hwy 101 is under massive construction (bridge maintenance and widening). There is one way traffic control at every bridge. We took I5 to 299 to 101 Northbound and I came back 101 to 20 to 5. There is one stretch just below Crescent City that had me stopped with a one hour delay. That spot warned for up to 2 hour delays.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

I was just there a couple weeks ago. We stayed in Arcata and attempted a trip to Crescent City. We too were stopped due to construction and were told that the road would "open for a little bit at 11:00am" to allow traffic to pass through. We rerouted back to Prairie Creek for the day. BUT... we were told that the road is only closed from 9:00am to 5:00pm, so the next day we drove through early and late with no problems. Things change of course, so your situation could be different.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Thanks all. As our campground - Del Norte - is smack dab in the middle of the closure area we are about 90% certain just gonna shift. This insight is helpful. Early July imagine the delays of 1-2 hours will for sure hold. Not fun for vacation with littles.

We were able to book Butte Lake campground in Lassen NP last night for the week. I wish it were Summit North/South or Manzanita Lake, but beggars can't be choosers. We may have some drives there around hte park, but at least its in the woods at our leisure and not sitting at road blocks.

Thanks all!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I am very familiar with Butte Lake area, as I live 45 minutes from there and visit often.
Let me know if you want trail 411.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

From Butte Lake in Lassen, you can easily hike to the top of Cinder Cone. That's pretty awesome!
-Phil
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

wildhiker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:17 pm From Butte Lake in Lassen, you can easily hike to the top of Cinder Cone. That's pretty awesome!
-Phil
Especially if you like two steps up, slide one step back. The views are great. The cinders? not so much.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963