Missing Death Valley Campers Update

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Missing Death Valley Campers Update

Post by robow8 »

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Missing Death Valley Campers Update

Post by balzaccom »

A sad story

Gold Road leads up the back side of the Funeral Mountains. I'd guess that their car crapped out (story said two flat tires) fairly near the end of that road, which is about 15 miles from a not very busy dirt through road (Green Valley/Furnace Creek). So it would have been a long hike back the way they came--and no certainty that another car would come along. We've driven that road down Green Valley and didn't see another vehicle once we got past the turnoff to Dante's View.

And Mormon Point is at the bottom of Willow Creek. They were at the top of Willow Creek. It's only about 4-5 miles as the crow flies, maybe less. But it is Death Valley steep and crazy. Looks to me like they decided to try to descend Willow Creek and basically got "cliffed out" in that canyon. It's easy to do in Death Valley--just about every canyon has an impassable dry fall at some point.

And as usual, bad things are never the result of one bad decision, but a series of questionable ones. This one was tragic.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

They should have had a satellite communicator.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There seem to be two thoughts on what to do when your car dies; sit it out in the car in hopes you will be rescued, or try to hike out. I am a big proponent of the former. You probably can last a lot longer on limited water sitting still than walking, even in less severe terrain. I think it depends on the circumstances. In cases where there is a disabled car, most rescues I have read about indicate that staying with the car is better. And if staying with a car, you can yank out the mirror and signal all directions. There is not the issue of forest cover when lost in Death Valley. I have a friend who has helped out in air search and he says the mirror signaling is very helpful for those who are trying to see you from the air.

Can you still drive a car with flat tires? I thought you could hobble out on your tire rims, although it would wreck your car.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 pm There seem to be two thoughts on what to do when your car dies; sit it out in the car in hopes you will be rescued, or try to hike out. I am a big proponent of the former. You probably can last a lot longer on limited water sitting still than walking, even in less severe terrain. I think it depends on the circumstances. In cases where there is a disabled car, most rescues I have read about indicate that staying with the car is better. And if staying with a car, you can yank out the mirror and signal all directions. There is not the issue of forest cover when lost in Death Valley. I have a friend who has helped out in air search and he says the mirror signaling is very helpful for those who are trying to see you from the air.

Can you still drive a car with flat tires? I thought you could hobble out on your tire rims, although it would wreck your car.
Totally agree that it depends on the circumstances.

Yes, you can drive on flat tires, I did it once on a rough dirt road, not knowing that I had a flat tire until I got to pavement and it was immediately obvious. However, it depends on the road. I imagine any kind of deep loose material would be the end of driving on rims.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 pm There seem to be two thoughts on what to do when your car dies; sit it out in the car in hopes you will be rescued, or try to hike out. I am a big proponent of the former.
Yeah, I couldn’t do it. Hiking 40-50 miles in a day is pretty doable, I’d go nuts waiting for a rescue. Course, I’d probably hike the road, hoping to see other cars and make fast time. But I’m not panicked with two flat tires either. Hard to judge these sorts of things after the fact with the knowledge we’re working with rather than theirs.

Those Death Valley canyons are crazy treacherous though, seems like there’s a canyoneering accident every year or two from parties who are prepared.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Pulling one of the flats and starting it on fire would probably have been a life saver.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Jimr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am Pulling one of the flats and starting it on fire would probably have been a life saver.
Completely agree Jim. Rode my quad up to Coyote Flats solo in the mid 80's. Had enough supplies to bivy overnight and stay dry but would have a 20 mile dirt road hike out to Bishop in or after a snowstorm. The bike at first wouldn't start. Thought of lighting the plastics on fire. That would have gained attention. Even the pull starter wouldn't get it going. But it turned out the negative lug on the battery broke. Held it onto the battery; pushed the starter and rode all the way back to town to my trailer. If at all possible stay where you can be found and conserve.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

Jimr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am Pulling one of the flats and starting it on fire would probably have been a life saver.
That was my thought as well when I heard the story.
-------------
Dave | flickr