Where are the Carrizo Plains Pronghorn?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Where are the Carrizo Plains Pronghorn?

Post by rlown »

CARRIZO PLAINS PRONGHORN

Question: For years, I would see pronghorn antelope along Highway 58 in the Carrizo Plains. After the solar farms went in, I saw less and less. In the last few years, I’ve not seen a single one. What is the current status of the pronghorn antelopes in the Carrizo Plains? (Lee)

Answer: The population of pronghorn on the Carrizo Plains has been declining for many years due to changes in land use. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is actively working to retain a viable pronghorn population there...
More at: https://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.co ... pronghorn/
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Where are the Carrizo Plains Pronghorn?

Post by balzaccom »

Well that's sad. One of the delights of driving across rural Nevada is the sighting of pronghorns...wish we could do that in California, some place.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey Russ, they are in abundance this year on the Carrizo. I've been out there a LOT this year and see them more often then not.
I'd post some photos if I could remember how. :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You must be in the right place at the right time. Hopefully, the CDFW will stop the decline, if it is real.
gtw_smooth_ambler
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gtw_smooth_ambler »

I was out there spring before last and definitely saw a couple pronghorn. They're so small I though it was a coyote at first! Didn't get a gander at any of the tule elk they put out there though.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

One of the issues at CP is a serious lack of any permanent water for drinking by fall especially during drought years. Most creatures there during the summer are small and either estivate or come out at night. The lakes on the plains are all highly alkaline while the ranges surrounding the plain only have running water briefly after storms. Thus such animals likely seek out the few irrigated private lands in the north or cattle watering troughs or head west into the rugged Los Padres NF areas where there are some permanent streams or southwest to the Cuyama River.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Was in Wyoming near Casper decades ago with the Sheriff. Antelope everywhere but as Dave points out, all near the water troughs.
I have enough preference points to hunt them on a good draw. Just haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, so to speak.