How do you keep busy during the winter?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: How do you keep busy during the winter?

Post by Love the Sierra »

Nordic skiing: I ski on wilderness trails and love backcountry touring. No downhill speed for this girl!!!
Also trial running and skijoring with my dogs!!! So many places in the Sierra for these activities!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

When not backpacking I still go on weekend hikes and if the weather allows, longer bike rides (50+ miles), which are easier on the knees. During the week, I commute to work by bike, regardless of weather conditions, except the occasional snow storm. I was caught at work once when it started snowing, and riding a road bike with 25mm tires even in just a few inches of wet snow is very nerve wracking. Stopping became a suggestion.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

neil d wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:56 pm Also love hitting fave spots in the Bay Area during the off season (Pt Reyes, cycling in western Marin County in general, Mt. Diablo, etc.) as the crowds really thin out. Especially Super Bowl weekend!
The last 5 years I've seemed to have started a personal tradition of hiking on Black Friday and Superbowl Sunday. Though not in the Bay Area, I usually have whichever trail I pick all to myself. This past Black Friday I did have to deal with about a foot of snow that I wasn't prepared for (shorts, t-shirt, and trail runners even though it was partialy off trail). I survived and enjoyed the blanket of white, which made for great views.
salvilla
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by salvilla »

I am in the Bay Area as well. I backpack Ventana wilderness and Henry Coe State park in the winter.