Incidents of travel in Belize

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Incidents of travel in Belize

Post by oldranger »

Wow! What a trip! Did you do all hthe planning and reservations yourself?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

My wife was the 'travel agent' on this one. She did an excellent job of mixing up the locations/accomodations so that it felt like two vacations in one.
Last edited by TahoeJeff on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Great fun. Loved the photos of Caracol...we've been to some other spots in the Mundo Maya, and have to add this one to the list!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Looks like you all had a great trip. There are so many cool images- where to begin?! We love the big iguana photo, and the cave shots; and tell your son we think his bird shots are fantastic! BTW, how do you get your son to travel with you? One of the underwater shots of your son is really fine and I bet it ends up on the wall one day. Thanks for a window into another world Jeff. I'd love to get back there too one day. Kudos.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Unfortunately I cant take credit for the cave shots, those are stock photos. No cameras allowed in the ATM cave due to stupid tourist actions.
We lured my son on the trip with the prospect of jungle adventures, great snorkeling, exploring Mayan ruins and saltwater fishing. Well that, and the alternative was for him to stay with his Grandparents in Florida....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I had to check it out again Jeff- what a great trip! I am enjoying your bold travels vicariously now, while I "shelter in bed." I am noticing a lot more the second time through-- the great size of some of those rays, more cool birds than I remember- did your son add some more? Keep them coming- we love the birds! I really like the photo of all the flying birds- are they frigate birds and blue-footed boobies? I also notice that in the 4th Iguana shot, the big iguana has the tail of a smaller lizard held taut in its mouth- what was going on there? Your shark shots are fascinating Jeff, and we have to wonder how that felt- swimming with big sharks? Nice photos there too. I also noticed the white color tone of your legs in the photo of you and your son in helmets about to go into the tight cave. Have you coated your legs with bright white sunscreen Jeff, or is that called a "Tahoe Tan?" Did the locals remark on it? Did they want to touch your skin to see if it was real? ;) [I am very pale too in February- no matter.] Our favorite images are still those of your son so clearly enjoying the trip; must be really nice traveling with him. "Hand-feeding the tarpon?" I notice your son has his hand held flat- is that so not to feed his fingers to the fish? Did he pull it off without blood-loss?
Lastly, with regard to the photos, that image of the "crystal maiden" is pretty exquisite. If it is so affecting for us as a distant image, we wonder how it struck you all close up, and in that eerie cave element. I once saw a cave full of mossy old sculls and bones in the Phillipines, but nothing so arresting as that "Maiden." Her pose is weirdly/wonderfully passionate in death. What was the story that went with "the Crystal Maiden?"

Your Trip Report is a great one; thanks to all of you guys for putting it together- beginning with the fine planning. The Harlen Clan.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.