Little Jimmy Overnighter

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Little Jimmy Overnighter

Post by robow8 »

Took a quick trip to Little Jimmy Campground with my wife Friday night and Saturday. Little Jimmy is a trail camp in the Angeles high country, West of Wrightwood. It's close enough for a quick getaway. It is also on the PCT, so earlier in the year, you are bound to see lots of PCTers. But this year, we saw 4 southbounders. It's just under 400 miles, so they'll be done in a few weeks. Talked with one, trail name Dorothy, from Kansas, who we met at the trailhead at Islip Saddle. He was drying out his gear in the sun, because we got Dumped on Friday night. Rain, wind, thunder and lightning. It was fun. Because we were prepared. Dorothy said this was the worst storm he'd been in the whole PCT. Made me proud of Southern California!

I though we were going to have the place to ourselves, but a Scout troop came in later, before the festivities. They were very well behaved, and I thanked them for that. A much larger, louder troop came in on Saturday, making me glad we were leaving.

If anybody happens to go there, and there is rain in the forecast, take extra care in site selection. Many of the sites are directly in the path of runoff.

Little Jimmy Spring was running fine.

Sorry, no photos.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Little Jimmy Overnighter

Post by Harlen »

That sounds really nice- getting into some weather and not suffering, but enjoying it! We've only been in that west of Wrightwood country once, on the way up Mt Baldy- could you see Baldy from your camp? Did you see any sign of the many bighorn sheep that live in those mountains? Thanks for posting, Harlen
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Harlen wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 pm Did you see any sign of the many bighorn sheep that live in those mountains?
If you want to see the bighorns, go on the annual bighorn survey in the San Gabriels. It is generally around the first weekend of March.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Harlen wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 pm could you see Baldy from your camp? Did you see any sign of the many bighorn sheep that live in those mountains?
You can't see Baldy from camp, but we did see it on the drive home. It had fresh snow on it on Saturday.
I haven't seen signs of bighorn sheep, but if you hike in from the Azusa canyon side, I think you would have a better chance.
We did see some bear scat, but no bear.
And there were a lot of hunters out. Not sure if it's season yet or if they're just scouting out areas. Glad I had an orange pack and yellow rain jacket!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great, thanks for the information.

bobby49 writes:
If you want to see the bighorns, go on the annual bighorn survey in the San Gabriels. It is generally around the first weekend of March.
Are they looking for volunteer sheep spotters to assist with the survey? I would love to do that, and have good binos, and access to a spotting scope too.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Yes, they get 100 volunteers. There is a Saturday evening class on identification of the wooly beasts, and then on Sunday we head out on the trails with long lens cameras, spotting scopes, and binoculars. It is thought that there might be 300+ bighorns in the San Gabriels.