Leslie Gulch, SE Oregon

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Leslie Gulch, SE Oregon

Post by oldranger »

Last week Kathy and I pulled our little travel trailer over about 260 miles of highway then 30 miles of gravel road for our first visit to Leslie Gulch. Truely an amazing place with opportunities to hike up side canyons, observe wildlife, and even fish in the upper reaches of the Owyhee Reservoir. Alas I left rod and license at home :crybaby: The only legal campground was crammed with anglers and photographers and a couple of parties like us who were there exploring new country.
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG
Some notes: need to bring plenty of water. This is a low elevation area and is best visited in April/May before it gets hot. Also later in the year the drawdown of the Reservoir turns the lake in this area into a cow pasture. Final warning is that April/May weather is extremely variable. In April it can be in mid 60s one day and snow the next. The day before we arrived it was in the low 80s, the day of our arrival high 70s, next day mid 60s, departure day low 50s. I suspect in the fall the anglers will be replaced by chukar hunters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Leslie Gulch, SE Oregon

Post by oldranger »

One more pic
IMG_0609.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Beautiful country for sure. Too bad about the fishing. I always have my license in my wallet and you should always have an extra rod stashed away someplace in the trailer.
Last edited by gary c. on Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Love those rock formations, have friends who have been there rock climbing, they mention that the place is named after a local rancher that was hit by lightning back in the 1800's.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

gary c. wrote:Beautiful country for sure. Too bad about the fishing. I always have my license in my wallet and you should always have an extra rod stashed away someplace in the trailer.
Gary,

Yep it would have been a simple job to throw my packrod and reel into the trailer. My license is kept in a dry bag that I keep essential gear in when fishing from my boat but again easy access. Dumb move on my part!
Mike

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Mike,

Leslie Gulch is now on our Oregon list. It looks like the same geo. formation as the famous "Smith Rocks," which I believe is Rhyolite. Beautiful country; we wonder if it's dog friendly, and what an Oregon fishing license costs? Thanks for sharing this great scenic place. Ian and Lizzie.

p.s. just looked it up on a map, and it is in line with my father's folks land, who were horse and cattle ranchers around Adel and the Warner Valley. We are keen to carry on to the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho, in line to the NE.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks a lot Russ. Geez, maybe I'll follow you underwater for shellfish-- only $19 for a 3 day lic., compared to $59.50 for the 3 day fishing. Any abs to be had? Mussels? Good new on the dogs at least.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

No Abs.. sigh.. Sea Urchins are available, but can't get anyone to go. Oregon coast is good for cockles.. Maybe mussels..