4 Lakes Loop (Trinity Alps) Recommendations

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 4 Lakes Loop (Trinity Alps) Recommendations

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I'm curious about the Bowerman route as well, as I'm thinking about using it as part of a loop.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 4 Lakes Loop (Trinity Alps) Recommendations

Post by kpeter »

kpeter wrote:
TehipiteTom wrote:Plenty of good recommendations here. Summit is the best camping; Anna Lake is spectacular; Siligo is a not too difficult scramble, and well worth it.

For whatever it's worth, here's another trip report, from 2009 (in via Long Canyon/Bowerman Meadow).
Tehipite, just read your trip report. Brought back some memories. When my Dad and I were exiting from our trip, we camped in the very upper reaches of Long Canyon below (ESE) of Bee Tree Gap. In fact, we were at the southernmost bend in the trail. At the time, Dad suggested I hike up the slope to see Lake Anna. It was a steep but direct route SSW from camp. I only got up a few hundred feet before dusk made me turn back without making it to the lake.

But that route sure seems to be an easier one to Lake Anna than the route from Bowerman. When you were there, did you walk north of the lake and look down that approach? I'm curious if it is a reasonable alternative, and whether I missed an opportunity.
To answer my own question, when I went back and looked at my old first edition Linkhart, it seems that my abortive route was his preferred route to Lake Anna. As for getting there from Bowerman, Linkhart says "the Bowerman route is not even a good way to get down from Lake Anna" and talked about masochists. Now, I've not been there one way or the other, but if I get back to that territory, I think I will try the Long Canyon route.