Oregon?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Oregon?

Post by balzaccom »

We're headed up to Portland later this summer from Napa....and looking for a trip or two that we could enjoy along the way. We've done a ton of backpacking, and are more interested in peaks and lakes than big rivers and fishing...

And fewer people is better than more people. grin
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Oregon?

Post by Flamingo »

Hey @balzaccom -- I lived in Eugene Oregon for six years, and I have some suggestions for you. I guess it ultimately depends on how much you want to detour driving-wise from your main route. In my opinion, Interstate 5 through Oregon is scenic, but its not the best for backpacking, lakes, and peaks. Rather, I suggest you detour from Interstate 5 near Shasta, go northeast on Highway 97, and drive up the east flank of the Cascades through Klamath Falls and Bend. You can cut back towards Portland on Highway 20 at the town of Bend, or on Highway 26 at the town of Madras. If you drive this eastern route, then you can easily visit some of my favorite day-hikes and backpack trips, including Mount Scott (a day-hike at Crater Lake), Maiden Peak (a day-hike or backpack, with great view overlooking Waldo Lake and A+ swimming in Rosary Lakes), and the Tam McArthur Rim (a fantastic day-hike or backpack trip with big views of the Three Sisters). Let me know if you want more suggestions. Good luck!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

and you can wait until OldRanger sees this as he lives in Bend. He could tell you what would do you and yours well.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I'll second taking 97 up instead of 5. We went up that way over the week of the 4th of July and car camped a few days just north of Crater Lake at the Broken Arrow Forestry Campground on the south end of Diamond Lake. Crater Lake was great, but we were there too early in the season after the massive winter we've had out here on the west coast. I had planned on day hiking Mt. Scott and the trail up to Watchman Peak to check out the lookout but the only trails that were open were half of the Garfield Peak trail and the path down to Cleatwood Cove. The rim drive was only 2/3 of the way open. Hopefully by the time you're up there the mozzies will have subsided a bit. They were a 3 in the park but a solid 5 at the campground we stayed at. Mt. Thielsen and Mt. Bailey looked like interesting hikes to take while based out of the campground were at. IIRC both would have been around an 9 mile out and back. We drove back south via 230 and 62 down the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic byway. That was a really pretty drive and an area we hope to get back up and exlpore a bit more.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I love the Eagle Cap wilderness in NE Oregon, within sight of Hell's Canyon. However, it is off your standard route. I've also backpacked in the Three Sisters area--interesting terrain but I would prefer Eagle Cap.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Consider hiking near Mt St Helens? A bit far from Portland proper, but there's also Mt Hood area.. If you want something on the way, I would say Goosenest Mt. and Grass Lake area. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4673240? ... google.com Near Shasta in Siskiyou County.

Or near Mt Jefferson off the 22 Eastbound from Salem, OR..
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

If you want solitude head for the Kalmiopsis Wilderness, much of it burned over in the Biscuit Fire. The most scenic areas for backpacking are the 3 Sisters, Mt. Jefferson, and Eagle Cap Wilderness. But these all see a lot of traffic in August. Crater lake has some great day hikes but again is well traveled. The Elkhorns se of La Grande are interesting, too, Personally my favorite is the Eagle Cap and there is one loop (min 4 day to really enjoy (I prefer 7 days with a couple of layover days for fishing)) that I really like that doesn't get as much traffic as most of the Wilderness. PM me if you want details.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Thanks for the suggestions, Yes, I've already decided that 97 is the way to go. Thinking about Olallie Lake area? Sisters looks nice...but I am worried about seeing too many people. I can do that in California! GRIN.

Eagle Cap looks wonderful, but is way out of my way. I don't want to lose two days of my adventure time driving....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

balzaccom wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, Yes, I've already decided that 97 is the way to go. Thinking about Olallie Lake area? Sisters looks nice...but I am worried about seeing too many people. I can do that in California! GRIN.

Eagle Cap looks wonderful, but is way out of my way. I don't want to lose two days of my adventure time driving....
Weird but I've never been to Ollalie Lake! Could be a good place to observe the eclipse.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!