Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Steens Mountain Wildflower extravaganza

Post by giantbrookie »

Beautiful photos. I remember being at the base of the Steens in the fall during one of those theatrical Friends of the Pleistocene geology field trips (1999). It was sometime in October, I recall, so there were no flowers and everything was quite dry. It was spectacularly windy, too. One of the epic moments involved our group crossing the playa in the Alvord desert and being engulfed in swirling dust even though we had taken off in a staggered "flying backslash" formation. Later (or earlier) in the trip, at least one tent was blown a long way by the winds. It took me years to shake all of the dust and grit out of my gear after that trip. I guess the last thing I thought of then was that the flowers would be so nice in early summer.

However as I look at the photos, I'm struck by the resemblance to the Warner Mtns, California's most northeastly mountain range. The Warners in early summer have amazing wildflower displays and all of these "hanging gardens" along the streams cascading down the east side. The Warners do in fact have some good fishing lakes, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Ditto on the beautiful photos, thanks for posting them up oldranger.

Kind of a weird coincidence as I had looked at your post earlier today. Then tonight I went looking for a hat on the Outdoor Research website (also "OR"), and here's the first thing I see:
steens.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

giantbrookie wrote:Beautiful photos. I remember being at the base of the Steens in the fall during one of those theatrical Friends of the Pleistocene geology field trips (1999). It was sometime in October, I recall, so there were no flowers and everything was quite dry. It was spectacularly windy, too. One of the epic moments involved our group crossing the playa in the Alvord desert and being engulfed in swirling dust even though we had taken off in a staggered "flying backslash" formation. Later (or earlier) in the trip, at least one tent was blown a long way by the winds. It took me years to shake all of the dust and grit out of my gear after that trip. I guess the last thing I thought of then was that the flowers would be so nice in early summer.

However as I look at the photos, I'm struck by the resemblance to the Warner Mtns, California's most northeastly mountain range. The Warners in early summer have amazing wildflower displays and all of these "hanging gardens" along the streams cascading down the east side. The Warners do in fact have some good fishing lakes, too.
Tell me more about your bear! Teddy or real? :D
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

oldranger wrote:
giantbrookie wrote:Beautiful photos. I remember being at the base of the Steens in the fall during one of those theatrical Friends of the Pleistocene geology field trips (1999). It was sometime in October, I recall, so there were no flowers and everything was quite dry. It was spectacularly windy, too. One of the epic moments involved our group crossing the playa in the Alvord desert and being engulfed in swirling dust even though we had taken off in a staggered "flying backslash" formation. Later (or earlier) in the trip, at least one tent was blown a long way by the winds. It took me years to shake all of the dust and grit out of my gear after that trip. I guess the last thing I thought of then was that the flowers would be so nice in early summer.

Tell me more about your bear! Teddy or real? :D
Actually that was a typo for "gear". I corrected the typo.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

My father's folks were all from around that part of Oregon- Hart Mountain, and the Warner Valley. Thanks for the memories of when I'd visit in the summers up there. Saw lots of Pronghorn, Elk, and one crazy-mad badger! We would fish in what they all called "cricks." And Canada geese were "honkers."

I'll take a half-educated guess on a few of the flowers:

DSC 0002 and 0079 are both Phacelias, genus is Phacelia too;

DSC 0029 looks like a Stonecrop succulent species- Sedum genus;

DSC 0096 is a Vetch, Astragalus genus; with an air-filled "bladder-pod."

DSC 0111 and 0157 are both wild buckwheat- or better- "Sulphur buckwheat" Eriogonum genus

DSC 0138 is a kind of dock, Rumex genus.

DSC 0181 is a "Forget-me-not." Probably a non-native flower.

DSC 0187 is a "bluebell," perhaps "Oregon lungwort" / aka "Beautiful bluebells."

Thanks again.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Harlen wrote:My father's folks were all from around that part of Oregon- Hart Mountain, and the Warner Valley. Thanks for the memories of when I'd visit in the summers up there. Saw lots of Pronghorn, Elk, and one crazy-mad badger! We would fish in what they all called "cricks." And Canada geese were "honkers."

I'll take a half-educated guess on a few of the flowers:

DSC 0002 and 0079 are both Phacelias, genus is Phacelia too;

DSC 0029 looks like a Stonecrop succulent species- Sedum genus;

DSC 0096 is a Vetch, Astragalus genus; with an air-filled "bladder-pod."

DSC 0111 and 0157 are both wild buckwheat- or better- "Sulphur buckwheat" Eriogonum genus

DSC 0138 is a kind of dock, Rumex genus.

DSC 0181 is a "Forget-me-not." Probably a non-native flower.

DSC 0187 is a "bluebell," perhaps "Oregon lungwort" / aka "Beautiful bluebells."

Thanks again.
Thank you Harlen!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Very nice pics. I have wanted to visit that area for a long time.

I saw some similar to your DSC_0096 on a trip to the Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness last weekend, on an exposed and sunny ridgetop. I asked on a plant identification group and they said it was some variety of astragalus whitneyi aka "balloon-pod milkvetch". Those are the seed pods, apparently. Vivid coloration.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The danger of a post like this is publicizing a little known gem like the Steens. It is one of my favorite places to visit whenever traveling through that part of the country. Always worthwhile to stop for a few days. I pray the area remains undiscovered by the hordes always looking for the next trendy place to conquer.
The eastern escarpment is as spectacular as any national park in the U.S. The Kiger wild horse herd is unique and fascinating (but the road into their home range is a low range, high clearance 4wd boulder crawl). I also enjoy hiking through the expansive aspen forest that covers the Steens.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=