Dog reunited with family after 9 months in the Idaho mtns

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dog reunited with family after 9 months in the Idaho mtns

Post by rlown »

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg
Dog reunited with family after nine months in the Idaho mountains

ASSOCIATED PRESSASSOCIATED PRESS | July 10, 2017, 3:47PM | Updated 3 minutes ago.

BOISE, Idaho — A lost Boise dog is back home after nine months and a brutal winter alone in the Idaho mountains.

Mo, an elderly Chesapeake Bay Retriever, wandered away from her owners during a hunting trip last September.

Darwin and Cindy Cameron stayed near the tiny hamlet of Horseshoe Bend about 30 miles (48 kilometers) north of Boise for three months looking for Mo. But deep snow and harsh conditions eventually made the search impossible.

Dog rescuer Cheri Glankler took in a starving retriever that had collapsed at a nearby ranch last month, the Idaho Statesman reported (http://bit.ly/2sXrGNy). Based on the dog's initial disheveled appearance, it was clear that she had been living on her own in the wild, Glankler said. She posted photos of the dog on Facebook, and word quickly reached the Camerons that Mo may have been found.

The Camerons were initially hesitant to see the dog after receiving so many false alarms before Glankler's call.

Mo had lost her hearing and half her body weight while surviving in the wild, and Glankler warned the couple that she would not be exactly as they remembered her.

"They all expect this kind of Disneyland response like you see sometimes in videos when veterans come home," she said. "And to be perfectly honest, that's abnormal. People don't understand that (the dogs) have gone into survival mode."

Despite Mo's subdued behavior, the Camerons recognized her through her mannerisms and other distinctive details.

The couple is thankful to all the people who came forward to make the reunion possible.

"The sheriff's office, the hunters who set aside their tags and their hunting trips to help look for a lost dog," Darwin said. "Boy, we're blessed to have her back."

Glanker became very fond of the now 14-year-old dog during their brief time together and has nicknamed her "The Legend" in honor of all she survived.

"Who saved Mo? Mo saved Mo," Glankler said. "Even here when I would take her out on a lead, she was searching. She knew who she was looking for. She's incredible."

___

Information from: Idaho Statesman, http://www.idahostatesman.com
Mo is a lucky dog..

Source: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/71861 ... artslide=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Re: Dog reunited with family after 9 months in the Idaho mtn

Post by Shawn »

Whoa, Mo is a very lucky dog. That is an amazing story on so many levels. Dogs can be so resilient, how many times have owners given up thinking the worst?

My little story pales by comparison to Mo's, but when the owner stopped looking after two weeks I couldn't stand the thought of this dog still running around on his own.
http://www.theradioroom.net/Projects/Pacos_Story.html
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice story as well. I've built traps before and sometimes it is trial and error. Sometimes when they (dogs) run away (Bubba), I just guess they run into the wind. And that's when I found him a mile down the road on the wrong side of the road. I stopped mid road, put on the flashers, jumped out and said his favorite words "go for a ride." :) I still miss his spirit. Samantha was more courteous. She would stand at the open gate and ask permission. "Find Bubba!" was usually the command. :)
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thank goodness you found Bubba. My dog also responds to "get in the car" and "lets go home" I got lucky that my home brew trap worked the first and probably the only time I'd have an opportunity to catch the dog.

Last year many of us were hoping the dog "Mr. Chili" would be found, after having survived a car wreck on the Tioga Pass. He had been seen numerous times on 120, but ultimately was never found. There was a huge outpouring of support and help via social media.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

On Dec 30th 2012 a guy was out car camping with his wife and two boxers in Chimney Peak Campground just outside the Wilderness. Something happened and the two dogs bolted. Long story short, guy looked high and low for the dogs. One turned up in Lake Isabella about a month later at the shelter. Near the middle of Feb the second dog began to be seen coming around a ranch north of Onyx. End of Feb they ended up getting the second dog back. Long thread, about 50 pages long but a good read - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... -home-safe!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Wow, amazing story psyko.

I see you're from Pasadena. I grew up there. When I was a kid our dog went missing on New Years eve. The next day we were watching the Rose Parade on the tube and my Mom points out our dog leading the parade at Colorado and Orange Grove. She raced over there and got the dog!. True story.