Mt. Shasta June 24-25 2017

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Shasta June 24-25 2017

Post by alpinemike »

While my primary climbing interests lie in finishing the SPS list in the Sierra I love mountains! And I certainly love big ones that have prominence. I've also gotten into snow condition mountaineering in the past couple years. So Shasta was a pretty likely candidate to go on my list of epic mountains to climb.

An opportunity presented itself this Spring to climb some mountains via Winter/Spring snow conditions with a friend that I made last year. Dan and I hiked with Rogue on one of our sections last summer. And we really hit it off so we became backpacking/climbing partners. We've done quite a few climbs together from last fall to now. That includes Mt. Shasta, Lassen, Sierra Buttes (twice actually.. and once in the spring with full on deep snow and winter conditions), along with several more in the Sierra like Mt. Tom.

Shasta was actually easier technically speaking than Lassen and I'll post some photos of Lassen hopefully soon. We went up Avalanche Gulch and camped at Helen Lake one night. We had an incredible time up the grueling 7000 Foot ascent up the beast of a mountain but we made it! Dan and his boss joined on this adventure!

My 6th 14er and 2nd Cascade Volcano. Hoping to get another 5 14er's this year and then I'll only have the 2 Palisade ones left! I love the fact that California not only has the tallest mountain the lower 48 but also the largest Cascade Volcano! Shasta is enormous!
IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5209.jpg
IMG_5221.jpg
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5251.JPG
IMG_5253.jpg
IMG_5257.jpg
IMG_5259.jpg
IMG_5290.JPG
IMG_5292.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mt. Shasta June 24-25 2017

Post by cslaght »

Amazing stuff! The shot of the shadow of the beast is incredible, rightfully so!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. I too was once an SPS peak hunter before I morphed priorities to backcountry fishing, but I found the allure to Shasta irresistible even after I had shifted gears to fishing. It was actually my wife, though, who doesn't even like peak bagging, who was bitten by the Shasta bug when she saw it on our trips up to the Klamath area wilderness areas (Trinity Alps, Marble Mtns, Russian Wilderness, etc.) to fish, It is such a beautiful mountain and so large as to be its own self-contained mountain range of sorts. We did it as a dayhike from the parking lot on Memorial Day weekend of 1992 after failing (weather closing in when high) twice the previous year, including a heartbreaking retreat from Misery Hill (so close, yet so far). There were The big glissade down the "bobsled run" has always been one of the rewards of the Shasta climb. Great fun. Nice photos.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Willythedog »

I was up there too on the 24th. Started at bunny flat around 1am, got to the summit around 11am. Tough going after a work day + long drive + no sleep. It was worth it though. Absolutely perfect weather, ALOT of people that day.