Los Padres overnighter

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Los Padres overnighter

Post by AlmostThere »

Roads in Big Sur: https://bigsurkate.blog/
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CAchief »

AlmostThere wrote:Big Sur, oh, no. The roads are falling in the sea -- five slides and one failed bridge equals at least a year or two til it's open all the way through highway 1 Between carmel and San Simeon. Multiple issues with Big Sur including continuing trail closures for the majority of the Ventana Wilderness -- you can drive all the way around through Fort Hunter Liggett and get to Vicente Flat from the Kirk Creek trailhead. That's about all that will be open, and that too will be HOOOOOTTTTT in September/October. You get a mile from the ocean and it's almost as hot as the southern LP. I take groups to Vicente Flat in spring. If you think the drive to the Sierra is long, Naciemento Fergusson has delays due to traffic -- the CalTrans crews and park employees and coast residents are all forced to use it.
5 slides? Sheesh, I knew about the big one and the bridge.

Oh well, maybe I'll take him to the Sierras or put it off. He's been on two camping trips already (Iron lakes & Voyager rock at Courtright) and is great in the car, just didn't want to push my luck.

2 years ago at voyager...
Last edited by CAchief on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

at his age, camping is really ok.. :nod: Its a better controlled environment than solid granite..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would guess Twin Lakes out of Kaiser or DInkey will be wide open by September. The heat wave is melting things out rapidly. Part of the road between Dinkey Creek and Courtright washed out but I believe it's one lane traffic, only a slight delay out there.

I'll probably be out at Voyager Rock with some newbies in August. It's a great short backpack for those who aren't sure they like backpacking.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

AlmostThere wrote:I would guess Twin Lakes out of Kaiser or DInkey will be wide open by September. The heat wave is melting things out rapidly. Part of the road between Dinkey Creek and Courtright washed out but I believe it's one lane traffic, only a slight delay out there.

I'll probably be out at Voyager Rock with some newbies in August. It's a great short backpack for those who aren't sure they like backpacking.
Do you just take them on the 4x4 road to the campground? Or backpack from Voyager Rock Campground out towards hobbler Lake area?

I was thinking of going to hell for sure Lake one of these days- have you been up that way?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey chief -

I'm in Paso Robles, so I have a little head start on you getting to the Sierra. Still, getting to the west side is about 3.5 to 4 hours depending on the destination. Have you looked at any areas along the Generals Highway......or perhaps even a night at Monarch Lakes in Mineral King?

Edit to Add:

The road at the top of the Cuesta Grade that goes east from 101 leads to a trailhead that is just beyond the antenna sites. The trail winds down among the trees in mostly shaded areas. I'm not at home right now and I can't recall the name of the campground(s) there, but you might have a look online. The downside is the potential for poison oak along the way.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

CAchief wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I would guess Twin Lakes out of Kaiser or DInkey will be wide open by September. The heat wave is melting things out rapidly. Part of the road between Dinkey Creek and Courtright washed out but I believe it's one lane traffic, only a slight delay out there.

Do you just take them on the 4x4 road to the campground? Or backpack from Voyager Rock Campground out towards hobbler Lake area?

I was thinking of going to hell for sure Lake one of these days- have you been up that way?
The high lake basins out there are favorites of mine. I spend quality time with my fishing pole up there. But it's a long hot uphill.... we go up Bench and come down via one of the other trails, as Bench is shaded most of the way.

I've hiked them in to the wilderness sign and taken the unsigned trail over to Voyager Rock from there. It's a fairly straightforward and less dusty route than the 4x4 road.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

Shawn wrote:Hey chief -

I'm in Paso Robles, so I have a little head start on you getting to the Sierra. Still, getting to the west side is about 3.5 to 4 hours depending on the destination. Have you looked at any areas along the Generals Highway......or perhaps even a night at Monarch Lakes in Mineral King?

Edit to Add:

The road at the top of the Cuesta Grade that goes east from 101 leads to a trailhead that is just beyond the antenna sites. The trail winds down among the trees in mostly shaded areas. I'm not at home right now and I can't recall the name of the campground(s) there, but you might have a look online. The downside is the potential for poison oak along the way.
I know the area around the grade you're talking about, and have been to big falls several times. Poison oak is a concern though. I'll check out the other areas you mentioned, thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

The three miles to Weaver Lake would be easy enough. Most of the Mineral King destinations are up a nice steep set of switchbacks. You're probably carrying the kid along with all the gear, check out Jennie Wilderness.
beamountainman
Topix Novice

Post by beamountainman »

Little Jimmy Camp in the Angeles national forest us my go to for new backpacking. Elevation starts pretty high for LA area, most of the trail is shaded, and there is a reliable water source plus [FIRE] are allowed for smores! Mt Pinks is another good one if you can get to the backpacking camp. The last time I went, the water was barely dribbling out early sun er, but this year, I assume it is not the same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk