Cactus to under the clouds hike.

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
KathyW

Cactus to under the clouds hike.

Post by KathyW »

We hiked from Palm Springs to Long Valley and then I continued out to Round Valley before returning to the mountain tram station to ride the Palm Springs Tram back to Palm Springs. Yesterday's hike was about 14 miles with 9100 feet gain. Maybe next trip I'll make it to the summit of San Jacinto.

Trip report is posted at:

http://www.palm-springs-photography.com ... .php?t=203

My photos:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/25 ... #136826410
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thats alot of gain, Kathy! :eek: Amazing. Nice pics.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Kathy,

Been a couple of years since I hiked San Jacinto. Definitely need to give it a shot before it becomes too warm. So little snow makes it a good opportunity for the next couple of months. Don't think I'm up to doing the mileage you did; maybe from the Idyllwild area again, or the "training wheels" hike from the Tram.

I see you got that pic of what the trail looked like flipped right side up. I was worried that if THAT was what the trail looked like (upside down) it was a harder hike than even I had imagined!!!!!! :lol:
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

damn -- that's a lot of gain for one day. great pictures - can't believe how dry everything is looking - heaven help us this summer
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

everything is really dry this year. We noticed that in Anza Borrego too.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

That's because you and the rest of the desert Mo'Fo's are sucking the desert dry on all your peak bagging trips!!!!!!!! :lol:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

It is a lot of gain but it's all trail, which makes it a lot easier than xcountry trekking, and you don't have to hike back down to Palm Springs.

I might be headed back on the 31st of March to try to push on to the summit - hopefully it won't be over 100 in Palm Springs that day.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Beautiful pictures Kathy! One day I will get down to this area...It's so interesting how you start in that dry desert like that and eventually get into the tall pine trees and everything changes..very unique I bet. Coffmans Crag is gorgeous :)
Yeah..it does look very dry down there..here too the snow is melting like crazy :eek:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I finally made it all the way from Palm Springs to the summit of Mount San Jacinto last Saturday. I've been up the Skyline Trail 4 times this spring - it's been great training for some of the trips I have planned for the summer and I've met some great people along that trail.

Here are some pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2839080#152204961

Now it's time for heavier boots and higher elevations. I'm hoping my ramped up training program will help get me up Shasta at the end of May and then up Rainier in mid-July. If I can get up Rainier then I'd like to head to Mexico to try just a bit higher elevation climbing next year. If not, I'll just keep trying because I sure am enjoying the process.