First Smallmouth Bass Fishing Adventure

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
brandonkop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

First Smallmouth Bass Fishing Adventure

Post by brandonkop »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxDOLHw7hg

My First Ever Smallmouth Bass Fishing Adventure Takes Place on Vancouver Island with Matt Benson, Cabela's Pro Staff, from the Youtube Channel Brackish Water Outdoors. He had been inviting me to come out for the last couple of years since I moved to Canada and the stars finally aligned and we were able to connect on an AMAZING day to get out and fish the early spring pre-spawn bite. The fish had really transitioned from the week prior and had now moved up in shallower water waiting to move up and start making nests. We found most of the fish by fishing docks on the sunny shorelines where the water temperature was the highest. The fish were slow though as a high pressure system had them a little tight lipped. The finesse drop shot with a green and white shad shaped worm was the ticket and it was FISH ON once Matt got things worked out. The rest is history. What an absolute blast we had out there. Check out the video and I'm sure you'll agree.

gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: First Smallmouth Bass Fishing Adventure

Post by gary c. »

HOGS!! every one of them.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Reminds me of the month of may in Maine. I used to cruise the shallows of lakes looking for spawing beds. Cast over the bed, let the floating rapala sit for a minute, twitch the Rapala, and watch the explosion as the bass attacked. If I was lucky enough to bring one to the boat it was released to go back and protect its progeny.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
brandonkop
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandonkop »

oldranger wrote:Reminds me of the month of may in Maine. I used to cruise the shallows of lakes looking for spawing beds. Cast over the bed, let the floating rapala sit for a minute, twitch the Rapala, and watch the explosion as the bass attacked. If I was lucky enough to bring one to the boat it was released to go back and protect its progeny.
Yeah these ones hadn't quite gone up on the beds yet, late spring and cooler than average water temps have delayed things a few weeks this year. Its all catch and release here from April to June in BC Canada.

gary c. wrote:HOGS!! every one of them.
Thanks, yeah they do have a great average size here. Not many people target them. They're all after trout, steelhead and salmon.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow, those are nice. I have caught a few smallmouth in some lakes of the Sierra (including one Sierra lake that was supposed to have trout), but they were tiny compared to the fish you caught.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;