Time for Kokanee BBQ

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Time for Kokanee BBQ

Post by oldranger »

Went fishing again yesterday. Took a friend and we managed to catch 21 kokanee (13 to 18 1/2 inches long)between us. I was ready to go home at 9:30 am as I had my 10 fish which is a reasonable number though only 1/3 the limit. But my friend had just 3 so we kept at it for a few more hours so he could catch a few more. now have a bunch of filets read to bbq!

Will go tomorrow and if it is good again will quit by noon or 10 fish whichever comes first. Eating lots of fish lately. BBQ kokanee Wed, and Thursday last week, Smoked kokanee salad for dinner Sunday night, bbq kokanee last night and tonight. Still cheaper to go to the store and buy fish!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Time for Kokanee BBQ

Post by maverick »

*no_pics*
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not a very pleasing pic but if you need proof!
Kokanee 5-8-17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Nice, and not for proof, but just see them. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I'm jealous as the Kokes in Tahoe don't school up 'till Summer.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

TJ actually they are not really schooled up. Really hard to find them, and while you can at times see multiple fish on the sonar they aren't the masses that you get at Odell or Billy Chinook. Which is why they get big and I get disappointed on a day like today when I caught 4, had 8 on by 8 am then not another bite and the 4 I caught were "only" 15 inches long. I keep hoping for a 20" koke just like the elusive backcountry 20" golden and 20" rainbow I keep trying to catch out of the Sierra.
Mike

giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I am seriously envious. Gosh those are nice fish and then when I throw in the thought of how good they taste....
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

oldranger wrote:Really hard to find them
Yep, especially true on Tahoe which is way too big and deep to prospect without knowing where they are.
That's why everybody waits to target them 'till they show up off Taylor Creek.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Very nice kokes :thumbsup:

Ever try blackened kokanee? It's the best way I like to prepare kokanee and about any blackening spice with little to no salt will do (I like Cajun Choice Blackening). Salty ones seem to burn instead of blackening the fish.

Luckily, I live near a lake (Bass) that has produced kokes to 21" in the past and I caught a 20" kokanne there in 2014. Best fight ever by a kokanee. Was also lucky to catch a 5 koke limit that weighed 11lbs that same year. Hopefully those same sizes return after the fish disappeared for the last two years :crybaby:

If you are already catching 18" kokes, by July-August they should be in the 20-21" range. Keep at it :nod:
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

My recipe for small ones that I bbq whole is smoked salt, garlic, dill. With the filets I place on foil add just a touch of smoked salt then baste with McCormicks Lemon Dill marinade then put on grill for 12 minutes. (time, of course, varies with grill). Would love to try blackend and may do one filet for myself but my wife is a midwesterner who doesn't tolerate any heat but horseradish.
Mike