Time for Kokanee BBQ

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Time for Kokanee BBQ

Post by oldranger »

TJ

Talking about schooled up, here is pic of my sonar screen at Lake Billy chinook. Unfortunately the kokes are about 9" long this time of the year. I assume the long arcs below the school are bull trout. The screen was like this for at least a half mile! This lake is the only place I know of in the NW where a take of Bull trout is permitted, minimum length is 24". I manage about one better than that each season. But my targeting of them ends in late april or early may when the big kokanee are available at Wickiup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

oldranger wrote:long arcs below the school are bull trout.
Oh yeah! Sometimes when we're koke fishing, we'll put a silver and black lure under the koke schools hoping for a big mac to bite.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Looks like you were after a few Bulls with your downrigger ball at 105' :D

Yes, a Rapala F-18 in silver and black or vampire trolled right below the schools will trick bigger fish into biting.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Yep, use either dead kokanee (legal in oregon) behind pro troll dodger or big kokanee colored AC plug with sardine wrap. Of course my 26" bull this year was caught on the surface while fishing for kokanee. Hadn't even attached the line to the down rigger cable yet!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!