Deleted

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Deleted

Post by rhyang »

Deleted
Last edited by rhyang on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Santa Lucia Trout

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. This brings back some great memories for me. Way back in early 1976 I took an "off season conditioning backpack" with a couple of my high school buddies to Ventana W. There was some nice looking water in there, and, although I was just beginning to get into fishing at the time, I recall we did see and catch some fish (my buddy did, at least) but they were brookies, rather than the (possibly) native rainbows. I found some really neat rocks there too that I'd become more interested in several years later when I became a geology major. It was kinda drizzly weather, I recall, on that trip, and we had to help thaw out this guy who had forced his way all the way up the canyon (off trail). I have not hiked in Ventana W since 1976 as it turns out and your post shows me what I've been missing.

Nice photos of the water, fish, and I really like the Calochortus. That is one of my favorite wild bulb flowers.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

What a pretty stream! That looks like a ton of fun, but poison oak and I do not get along, despite it's clear affinity for me. Two very serious bouts (including my nether regions) have left me paranoid. With no snow melt there (I assume) it's amazing that there are still fish there after five years of drought. It's a good sign for many other waters I assume. Thanks for the report on an interesting location.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Way to go on getting some trouts!!!!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Super cool. I too like exploring for the sake of trying to find out if remnant/legend populations exist. Always fun.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The great thing about streams in the Santa Lucia Range is it is well watered even in driest years thus unlike streams further south, tends to support year round trout habitat. Waters tend to be nicely cold because canyons tend to be deep, steep, and narrow thus many hours of day are shady. There are also considerable stream sections that are inaccessible due to any access. The worst thing for this person is the horrible amount of poison oak. Just thinking about some of those places gives me an itch. On the east side, really like Arroyo Seco.

David
rusticandy
Topix Novice

Post by rusticandy »

I spent time up the nacimiento, san antonio and arroyo seco and done well at times for trout and crawfish.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Nice about the crawfish!! A special treat. Got a 5 gallon bucket of the mud bugs in Elmira one afternoon on chicken carcasses. I think I'm still immune to Poison Oak, which is good if still true. Some species of crawfish are considered invasive and should be taken. Even if not, 35 is a daily limit I think for the others with a fishing license. They are very tasty.

Nice fish for the size of the stream.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

nathan'scrayearly summer trips 2009 074.jpg
Russ, never eat a crayfish bigger than your head!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Tasty!!! too bad the guy I harvested them with suddenly found out he was allergic and was rushed to the hospital.. He had the same reaction to Poison Oak. Note to everyone; don't take a hot bath after exposure to poison oak. It steeps like a tea and enters your lungs.