Going anywhere for the 2017 total solar eclipse?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Going anywhere for the 2017 total solar eclipse?

Post by maiathebee »

I've got plans to travel to the Tetons to see the total solar eclipse in August and I'm curious if anyone around here is making plans to get to the path of totality. I've never experienced totality before and I'm super excited about it. From what I've heard, it's incredibly surreal.
usa_eclipse_map.jpg
I guess as a side-question, anything I absolutely shouldn't miss in the Tetons / Yellowstone? I've only been to the Rockies in the summer once (Glacier NP), so I'm super excited to spend some more time in a range that's not the Sierra (please don't boot me for blasphemy!) I'm planning on one two to three night trip on the Teton Crest Trail and beyond that I'll just be day hiking. If you've got a favorite day hike in Yellowstone, I'd love to know about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Going anywhere for the 2017 total solar eclipse?

Post by TahoeJeff »

I was north of Cabo San Lucas in '91 for the total eclipse and it was mind blowing!
I'll be taking my family somewhere in Oregon for the upcoming eclipse...
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I don't think I've seen an annular eclipse before, but in 2012, in L.A., the view of an 85% coverage was blocked enough by thin clouds that you could comfortably watch most of it without eye protection. You had to look away a few times when cloud clearings passed, but it was spectacular. IIRC, it was in the late afternoon, about an hour and a half to two hours before sunset.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What time of day is the event? In August, the Tetons may have afternoon storms and cloud cover. I hope you get a clear day. I saw what was a near total eclipse in Montana in the 1970's, while driving on the freeway. Yes it is quite an experience.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

I'm planning to drive up to Oregon, location TBD. The center of the eclipse will pass directly over two of my favorite places: Mount Jefferson Park (on the PCT), and the John Day Painted Hills.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Going to Idaho, will be on a peak for the show!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What time of day is the event?
Viewing times are listed on the map. :p
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Wandering Daisy wrote:What time of day is the event? In August, the Tetons may have afternoon storms and cloud cover. I hope you get a clear day. I saw what was a near total eclipse in Montana in the 1970's, while driving on the freeway. Yes it is quite an experience.
In the morning! Hopefully it will be clear. But if not, that's life. I'll just have to try again sometime in the future. We have tickets to go up to the top of Snow King with the Wyoming Stargazing nonprofit. The thing I'm most worried about right now is being able to actually GET anywhere in Jackson on that morning. They are predicting extra tens of thousands of people in the area beyond the normal summer national park crowds :crybaby: I already told my people we should just leave at 4am and have a breakfast tailgating party at the parking lot for Snow King.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Going to Idaho Falls, Idaho and staying with a longtime friend who lives there. The town is completely booked and the room rates at hotels were really jacked up.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

freestone wrote:The town is completely booked and the room rates at hotels were really jacked up.
Yeah, we reserved our condo in Jackson Hole way back in September of 2015!!!