TR: Mount Shasta (4/28-29)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
pakoR
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Mount Shasta (4/28-29)

Post by pakoR »

Been doing a lot of winter camping and climbing this year to avoid withdrawals from summer backpacking. The weather forecast was for clear skies, no precipitation, but windy, 40-50 mph, with 80+ mph gusts. We left the Bay Area at 0400 on Friday, rented some gear at the 5th Season, and were at the Bunny Flat TH by 1030. At 1130, we were making our way up Avalanche Gulch. We camped at Helen Lake. When we arrived, our group of six was the only one there. Before sunset, a group of 2 arrived, and that was it for Friday evening. On Saturday afternoon though, there were about 40 people camped around Helen Lake.

Three from my group started for the summit at 0500 on Saturday, but had to retreat around the summit plateau due to high winds. I left camp at 0800 and was able to reach the summit. However, the hike up to Red Banks drained a lot of my energy, what with the steepness of the terrain and the wind constantly blowing down the slope. There a bunch of skiers and splitboarders on the mountain. Our group had snowshoed in from the TH. Wonderful weekend, enjoy the photos.

View from the Mount Shasta Ranger Station

Casaval Ridge

Camp at Lake Helen, Saturday AM

Misery Hill

Summit of Mount Shasta

Snow and ice formations

Camp at Lake Helen on Saturday PM

Sleeping accomodations (bivy and snow coffin)

View of Mt. Shasta from the Bunny Flat TH
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Mount Shasta (4/28-29)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, it is that time of year! Climb Mt. Shasta! Brings back good memories of my climb about 15 years ago. We found an ice-cave below the summit to take a break in, out of the wind. It was a small thermal feature that even had dry warm dirt to sit on! Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Mount Shasta (4/28-29)

Post by maverick »

Thanks for TR and pic's. The wind is the number one determinding factor, a majority time, whether one is able to summit or not. Have done this same route one day and a friend was turned around because of the high winds the next day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org