Limit of kokanee ruined by unexpected catch

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Limit of kokanee ruined by unexpected catch

Post by oldranger »

Just another crappy day in paradise! After 5 hours of targeting bull trout gave up and started looking for some kokanee concentrations by trolling our way up lake from about a a mile w. of Chinook Island. No sooner did I have my little dodger and kokanee spinner out but before I had a chance to attach my line to the down rigger cable I had a fish on. Rig couldn't have been more than 5 feet deep and we were in the middle of the channel. The fish took the line down and the fight was on. I told my partner--"I've got a bull trout." Then I said, "A big bull trout!" It fought hard all the way until I had all but 30 feet of line in. Then it kept making runs and pulling out line. In all it took a good 15 minutes getting the fish to the net. Now 2 of the 3 largest freshwater fish I have caught were fishing for Kokes. So why bother to target the big guys? Oh yeah I wouldn't normally keep a bull trout that size but I needed to smoke some fish for an upcoming event.\
P1020746.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Limit of kokanee ruined by unexpected catch

Post by gary c. »

That's a very nice fish!!
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Is that a small child's rod, or a three foot fish?! My boys have never seen a fish like that in the Sierra- they would be stunned!
Here are a few photos of them with very average brookies; do you recognize the lakes? Cheers, Harlen.
DSC00786.jpg
young fishermen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My boys have never seen a fish like that in the Sierra- they would be stunned!
Chinook Island is in Oregon. That is Painted Lady in the background. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

OR, do you not keep 'em that size because they are brood stock or because they start tasting dirty?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Harlen, what's the limit for trout in that lake?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

That's one big char....
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

balzaccom wrote:Harlen, what's the limit for trout in that lake?
It's sometimes 5 per day, 10 in possession. And sometimes people share stringers. I've fished in areas where an additional 5 brook are allowed - probably because they overpopulate so easily.

Of course, I've seen limits ignored before as well.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Holy smokes that is a big fish. So how big was that exactly?
AlmostThere wrote:
balzaccom wrote:Harlen, what's the limit for trout in that lake?
It's sometimes 5 per day, 10 in possession. And sometimes people share stringers. I've fished in areas where an additional 5 brook are allowed - probably because they overpopulate so easily.
Of course, I've seen limits ignored before as well.
Actually there is a bonus brook trout limit in the High Sierra (S of I80) (such as the place the kids are holding the fish). It's 10 fish under 10" in addition to the usual 5 fish limit (Sec. 7b(8B) District General Regulations, Sierra District.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

GB

26" I think 6 0r 7 lbs. It fought much more than the 28" 11 pounder I caught last year. Lake Billy Chinook is about the only water in the northwest that you can keep a bull trout but it must be at least 24". The lake is specifically managed for bull trout so that is why the limit on kokanee is only 5. Most lakes in central oregon with natural reproduction of kokanee have a 30 kokanee limit. Most bull trout and the kokanee spawn in the Metolius river and its tributaries. The kokanee are one of just a few populations of landlocked salmon created by dams in Oregon. I wouldn't normally have kept a bull trout that small except I needed some fish to smoke for an event later in the month. The meat was a red as a salmon and I will be smoking it tomorrow.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!