Dry Mountain

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the pictures Tom and SN. Now that I look at the pictures, I might go give it a try on the 24th with a really early and start depending on how I feel and the weather is like. I'll have an extra hour of daylight in the evening now that the time has changed.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Looks like a really nice hike everyone! Beautiful pictures! It looked nice and warm there.

Love the one of Spanky and his Banana :D So cute
Lightning Dog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Lightning Dog »

Wow!!! You guys are amazing. I've been looking at all the photos of the many, many peak trips you've gone on in just the past few weeks with a mixture of envy and fear.
Once more with feeling... WOW!!!! :notworthy:
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Dan, Fred, and I decided to go ahead and give Dry Mountain a try yesterday. We agreed on a route that I found in the DPS trip report archives refered to as the Beck-Kelsey Ridge or Route C. It was a great hike along a ridge from 6300 feet elevation to just over 7900 feet elevation - then you still have to drop down the 700 feet and go back up the 1400 feet.

Anyway, the weather was perfect and the hike was a long but an enjoyable one via the Beck-Kelsey Ridge. Dan kept track of the hiking time and he reported that it took us a couple minutes more than 6 hours to get up and a little more than 4 hours to come down. A total of 10 hours and 20 minutes hiking plus we spent about an hour on the summit, so 11 hours and 20 minutes out there. The topo software says it was 14.6 miles roundtrip with about 5800 feet elevation gain, but that doesn't count every swithback you take in the steep sections.

Thanks for your reports Sooz, Cori, and Tom - the route you took didn't sound like much fun, so they were the reason I looked for an alternate route. When I found a route that was described as a ridge-run I was very happy.

My pictures and a map of our route:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2622975#138438602
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Kathy - looks like an excellent variation to the route - I wondered about that while we were up on the high ridgeline - the extra miles look like a pleasant alternative to loose scrambling up canyon walls. great pictures and glad you were able to make it this year - the desert is heating up fast.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Yes, the desert is heating up. The temperatures on the hike to Dry were just beautiful - not too hot or too cold, but it was in the 80's at Stovepipe Wells after dark when I stopped to take a shower on Saturday night. It was 88 degrees when I got to Mesquite Springs at about 5:30 pm on Friday evening. I think I'm done with the desert for the season with the exception of some of the higher peaks like Wheeler in Nevada, Humphrey's in Arizona, and Montgomery here in California.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Congrats Kathy! Sounds like you took a nice route up there. If I ever do it again (not likely!!) I'll try it that way!