TR: Bryce Canyon - Under the Rim trail First segment (Feb)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Bryce Canyon - Under the Rim trail First segment (Feb)

Post by KevinDo »

Hello all!

Writing this trip report a little late but thought you guys would like some of the photos! It's my first time using flickr so I apologize for any formatting issues!

For President's day weekend, our friend Melissa from NZL decided to pay us a visit. Having gone to Dewey already for the year, we decided to make our way out to Utah. The original plan was to travel to Kolob Canyon to check out the arch BUT...when we got there, it was still raining with some slush and a whole lot of redish clay like mud. Not wanting to walk through mud for 7-8 miles, we opted to head North east towards Bryce to do a segment of the Under the Rim trail. Upon arriving at the visitor center and asking for permits, the ranger gave us a strange look and wasn't even sure they handed permits out during winter :headroll: Supposedly, we were the first backpackers of the year at Bryce.

It was a bit difficult getting to the trailhead as we had arrived early before any plowing was done. Was very thankful for the tire chains we brought along.

Starting off on the trail, it was easy to follow as there was a packed down trail for the first half mile or so. After that, it was fresh powder but boy was it gorgeous! Fog was coming in as we descended into the Hoodoos
Image1 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image2 by kevin do, on Flickr

Sighting of some hoodoos on the way down
Image19 by kevin do, on Flickr

There was also some neat rime kind of looking ice on the trees

Image5 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image4 by kevin do, on Flickr

The descent was a tad bit tricky with the fresh powder. Definitely seemed a bit avy risky so we stayed near anchors as much as we could.

Image3 by kevin do, on Flickr

This sign gave us hope that we were going the right way

Image20 by kevin do, on Flickr

Eventually we made it to this spectacular view of more fog

Image6 by kevin do, on Flickr

It was at this moment, I started regretting driving 7-8 hours to get here...however, with a little patience+ a snack break, the fog moved away and gave us some pretty nice views

Image7 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image8 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image18 by kevin do, on Flickr

As we descended lower, there was more clay than snow but still gorgeous

Image11 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image12 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image9 by kevin do, on Flickr

Image10 by kevin do, on Flickr

Some furry pals were here

Image13 by kevin do, on Flickr

Some formation called the hats
Image12 by kevin do, on Flickr

More fog!
Image17 by kevin do, on Flickr

After a few more miles, we found our campsite for the night by Yellow creek. Oddly, the naming of this creek was off...instead of yellow, it should of been pure red clay creek!
Now as I had wanted to do a snow trip, I decided to make it feel like a snow trip by camping on the last few bits of snow left at the site! (Actually, it was just the safest spot away from trees :) )

Image14 by kevin do, on Flickr

I didn't take any pictures, but with a relatively high humidity, everything had hoar frost on it in the morning...made packing up a very slow chore.
For breakfast, I tried emulating a recipe I've seen many times here...
Image15 by kevin do, on Flickr

Was definitely yummy! Afterwards we got on our merry way and headed back to the trailhead. Almost all the snow before the last mile of the trail had melted by then so it was easier to make up the hills. A short trip but still very fun!

Was also the first outing of these amazing things! Boy was it nice to have warm feet in the morning!
Image16 by kevin do, on Flickr
Last edited by KevinDo on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Re: Bryce Canyon - Under the Rim trail First segment (Feb)

Post by Cross Country »

Hey Kevin, how about posting a picture of you (I just can't count top of the head shot).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

a "hell of a place to lose a cow" :)

Nice report. Thanks for sharing!
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post your trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Kevin for sharing, #10 and #12 are some nice shots, Red Rock and snow are always good combo. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
corvus
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Bryce Canyon - Under the Rim trail First segment (Fe

Post by corvus »

These are so great! I did this trail in .... 2006? April. I didn't have snowshoes, so it was an exciting experience.