Bay Area Winter: geology, shore fishing etc. Part I

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Bay Area Winter: geology, shore fishing etc. Part I

Post by giantbrookie »

RichardCullip wrote:Thanks for the surf fishing report and a reminder of Sunol Regional Park. I remember wandering around there on field trips while getting my BS in Geology from SJSU in the late '70's. Fun times for sure. Not sure my old legs could handle walking around it now days.
Yes apparently Sunol RW was a SJSU tradition for many years, I think going back to the 60s or so. In 1985 a SJSU masters student did a really good geologic map of the area. This helped me plan out how I would use the area as a place to teach geologic mapping (starting in 2006). I teach two different mapping exercises out there in addition to visiting the place with my geomorphology class. I first visited Sunol RW as a kid on a hike with my family, probably in the early 70s and I remember hiking with a girlfriend there in the early 80's, too.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;