Berry Creek Falls ( Big Basin State Park ) 2/24/17

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Berry Creek Falls ( Big Basin State Park ) 2/24/17

Post by robertseeburger »

Well, it sure is raining a lot and I am thinking more of snow in the Sierras than anything. But a day hike to Berry Creek Falls ( my favorite Bay Area Hike) is always a good thing. With my friend Shmuel, we went there on 2/24/17. I have done this hike perhaps ten times and this is the most water I have ever seen there.
berry creek falls feb 2017.jpg
One of the cascades above the falls.
Falls above Berry Creek 2017.jpg
The only headache was a lot of downed trees on the trail. In fact, later on the day we hiked, they closed the trail. It took about an hour extra ( 5 hours instead of 4) to do the 11 mile loop due to all the downed trees. I am not sure if they have reopened the trail yet.
Shmuel downed tree Berry Creek 2017.jpg
Definitely the time to do some waterfall day hikes... next on the list.. Alamere in Point Reyes, and Murietta in East Bay..waiting for some clear days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Berry Creek Falls ( Big Basin State Park ) 2/24/17

Post by maverick »

Nice, have not seen Silver Falls flowing at that volume before. Would not wait till things get dry to visit Murietta, Alamere will still be flowing far after Murietta dries up.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org