Return to Lake Billy Chinook

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Return to Lake Billy Chinook

Post by oldranger »

Back to Billy today! Beautiful day for a few hours. Early on managed a triple hookup on two rods! I noticed the rod that I was flatlining was bouncing so I pulled in a 10 inch koke. then I pulled up the line attached to a downrigger and rather than reel it in I just let it rise up and added a few jerks as I did so and wham I got a hit--much bigger than a 10 inch koke. Thought it must be a 15 or 16 inch bull trout. When I got it to the boat it turned out to be a 10 inch koke and a 12-13 inch rainbow! The rainbow shook off but I landed the koke. After that I focused on bull trout. Several hits popped the down rigger but brought only 2 little guys to the boat--15" and 20" or so. It got windy about 1 so I tried wind trolling for kokes then started jigging. Decided jigging for 10 inch kokes was much more fun than trolling when you can hardly tell you have a fish on so ended up filling the limit plus a few for fun by jigging whenever I found a concentration of fish. Oh yeah though small they were tasty on the barbecue.
Mt jeff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jason
Topix Regular

Re: Return to Lake Billy Chinook

Post by Jason »

That's a nice view!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Yeah my jaw always drops when I come around the corner and there is Mt. Jefferson
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am surprised there is no snow? Is the lake at a low elevation?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

2200 feet, there actually are a few patches left on steep n. slopes, probably a little more at the extreme w. end. Bend at 3600 feet is about 75% snow free. Solid snow w. of Bend at about 4000 feet except on open s. exposure. complete snow coverage everywhere at 5,000 feet.
Mike