Four Lakes Loop (Trinity) From Stonewall Ridge

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Four Lakes Loop (Trinity) From Stonewall Ridge

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Heading into the Labor Day weekend, I decided to go on a relaxed trip over Stonewall Pass to the Four Lakes loop. There are several approaches to this popular hike around Mount Siligo in the Trinity Alps of Northern California, and I had chosen to start from the Stoney Ridge trailhead, hiking over both Stonewall and Little Stonewall passes. I expected warm temperatures and went with a light pack counting on my puffy, balaclava and rain jacket for extra warmth if things got a little chilly.
I left home around 8:30 on a Friday morning, picking up some breakfast along the way to the Ranger Station in Weaverville where I filled out a self-issued permit for that weekend. I didn’t arrive at the trailhead until 11:00. It was a late start, given that I planned to do 10+ miles before camping at Summit Lake. The temps were a bit cooler than the 100’s down in the valley, but still warm enough to work up a sweat climbing from the trailhead at 4,600 feet to Stonewall Pass at 7,200 feet. The views north included VanMatre Meadows, Little Stonewall Pass, and the mountains beyond. To the south I could see a bit of Trinity Lake and the green forested slopes I had just come up.
South From Stonewall Pass 2.jpg
North From Stonewall Pass 2.jpg
Around 1:00 PM, I stopped at Echo Lake, just southeast of the trail and below Little Stonewall Pass. If you want to go to Echo Lake just look for a small tarn to the right of the trail just after crossing the outlet stream from Echo Lake. Echo Lake is just past a small rise on the other side of the tarn which was dried up when I was there. The views to the west and south were nice, but the ridge line to the northeast that separated Echo Lake from Billy-Be-Damn Lake was impressive enough to remove any thoughts I had of taking the off-trail route to that curiously named lake. After lunch, it was a quick hike up to Little Stonewall Pass at just over 7,400 feet, where I met a group of four hikers enjoying a bit of a rest and some wonderful views of Siligo Meadows, Mount Siligo, Gibson Peak, and Seven-up Peak.
Echo Lake.jpg
Echo Lake From Outlet.jpg
View Form Echo Lake Outlet 2.jpg
Siligo Meadows 4.jpg
After another short break to chat and enjoy the views, I dropped down to Siligo Meadow at 7,000 feet before another short climb up to Deer Creek Pass at 7,600 feet. From there I had the option of dropping down to Deer Lake or turning west (to the left) to Summit Lake for that night’s camp and the start of the Four Lakes Loop. I stuck with my original plan and took the trail heading west traversing around the bowl holding Deer Lake. Around 5:00 I finally came to the short trail that led down to Summit Lake, situated at 7,500 feet on the south side of Siligo Peak. The camp sites were plentiful and I took a small one for my one-man tarp tent. After setting up camp I walked to the northern edge of the lake and enjoyed views of the deep canyon to the west that holds the Stuart Fork of the Trinity River and the white granite peaks to the north. While enjoying a epicurean feast of trail mix for dinner, I donned my down puffy to fight off the cold evening that was descending on Summit Lake as the sun dropped below the mountains. I was beginning to wonder about my decision to only bring a light blanket to cover me.
NE From Summit Lake outlet.jpg
Despite highs in the 100’s down in the valley, despite the fact that I was still well within the summer hiking season, September 4, despite having little need for a sleeping bag in my previous trips in June and July, I was freezing (at least figuratively). By 11:00 I had seen several shooting stars but no sleep as I had already put on all of my clothes and was still shivering under my light blanket. Around 3:00 AM I finally drifted off. When I woke up a couple of hours later, I was somewhat worried by the fact that I had stopped shivering when I knew the temperature had certainly dropped even lower.

Part 2 to come
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lumbergh21 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Four Lakes Loop (Trinity) From Stonewall Ridge

Post by rlown »

Why does it look like gill nets are in the water at Echo?

And then upon further research: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Drought/Pro ... Lake-Basin

Sigh..

Otherwise, nice report!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I was wondering that myself at the time (this trip was in 2015), but now I know about these habitat restoration efforts. They also left an inflatable raft and other equipment behind. I like how they conclude that the aquatic snakes will either switch to frogs or move from the area. They left out the obvious alternative,"or die". I wonder what it's like to be so certain of the righteousness of your cause that you can go around completely eliminating wildlife.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

We saw snakes at Ward Lk in Trinity when we visited (2009). One actually bit onto a brook trout as it was retrieved. It was a special moment.
P9260025.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I saw a couple when I was at Granite Lake back in 2014.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Part 2

I was obviously not getting any more rest and decided to at least try to warm up a little with some hot coffee. The first cup did improve my outlook, as did the second and then a third (good thing I brought along plenty coffee anyway). But by the time the sky had started to lighten up, I had made the decision to shorten my trip to two days. There was no way that I was going through a second night like that one. After packing camp, I stopped to say hello to a couple of fellow survivors from the previous night who had built a fire that morning and were huddled closely around it. One of them said that it was certainly cold enough, having dropped below 30 that night. At least I know it wasn’t just me.
I still planned to climb Siligo Peak and make the full circumnavigation of the peak, visiting each of the lakes in the loop; I just planned to do all of that and hike out in one day. Luckily I was hiking with a pack that topped out at 18.5 pounds, including 40 oz. of water and food for two full days plus extra snacks when I started, and it was only getting lighter. I set off for the top of Siligo, leaving my pack just above the trail as I scrambled the rest of the way up 8,136-foot Siligo Peak with just my phone, a bottle of water, and a granola bar for second breakfast. The views from the top were some of the best I have ever seen in the Trinity Alps. From the top, I could see all of the nearby peaks, the lakes surrounding Mount Siligo that I would be visiting later that day, and Mt. Shasta off to the east.
Summit Lake From Siligo Peak.jpg
Clouds Rolling in Seen From Siligo Peak.jpg
West From Siligo Peak.jpg
Round Lake from Siligo Peak.jpg
After coming back down to the trail, I took off at a fairly good clip in a clockwise direction around the mountain, next up, Diamond Lake. The view looking north and west from the outlet of Diamond Lake is mighty nice, and I could see why the lone camp site there is recommended. However, the marsh that the trail passes through just below the lake told me that it certainly hadn’t been any warmer. It was a little after 9:00 AM and the sun had been on the marsh for over an hour, yet the puddles and pools were still covered in thin sheets of ice.
View From Diamond Lake Outlet.jpg
Next up after climbing up and over a ridge was Luella Lake. Some say this is their favorite lake in the loop. It certainly has a beautiful backdrop with Siligo peak rising nearly straight up above it to the south and wonderful views of Gibson and Seven-up Peaks to the east, but the lake itself didn’t offer the kind of swimming opportunities that I prefer.
Trail down to Luella Lk.jpg
Luella Lake.jpg
Now began the descent to Deer Creek. The trail switchbacked down several hundred feet to an open meadow with a small creek flowing through it. After filling up my water from the creek, I began climbing once again; this time up to Deer Lake, the last lake in the Four Lake Loop. Once again, I found it to be underwhelming. Deer Lake appears murky by alpine lake standards, and despite its obvious popularity as evidenced by several established camp sites, it’s not a place that I plan on camping at in the future.
Looking South Up Deer Creek Valley 2 (Red Mt).jpg
Moon Rise Above Siligo Peak from Deer Lake.jpg
Moonrise Over Siligo Peak 1.jpg
I was now on my way back to where I had started, climbing up to Deer Creek Pass and Siligo Meadow beyond. Originally, I had planned on making my second night’s camp in Siligo Meadow along the upper reaches of Deep Creek or in Van Matre Meadow along another fork of Deep Creek. Instead, I stopped for lunch and to refill my water before continuing on.
The Labor Day weekend crowds began as I neared the top of Little Stonewall Pass. It was climbing up to this pass and even more so going down the other side that the advantage of traveling light was most evident to me. Seeing those weekend warriors with their 50 lb (or larger) packs trudging up the trail, already struggling only 6 miles into their hike, knowing that was me a few years prior, almost made up for the miserable night I had. ALMOST. A couple asked how much weight I was carrying, and when I told them, they reacted with a mixture of desire, fear, and disbelief. The woman remarked to her significant other, “That’s what we need to do.” I probably should have corrected her and said, “You need to do this but with a 20 degree down bag”, but I just wished them a good weekend and recommended the views from the top of Mount Siligo.
As I reached the top of Stonewall Pass for the second time in as many days, it was time for a break. I finished off my trail mix as a soft breeze blew from the south and a bird of prey carved lazy circles in the sky above Red Mountain Meadow. While the night before had been anything but pleasant, this day and the trip as a whole had turned out pretty darn good. I began the final long descent back to the car and my re-entry into the everyday world.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Man, it looks so dry in the late season. The Trinity Alps are my go-to early season because they melt out quicker than a lot of other places, so it's really weird to see them so crusty and dusty! Love that loop, though :)
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Sorry, I should have put dates on the trip to provide context. This was in September 2015; even drier than 2016. Water was not an issue. I had 2 quarts along for this hike and passed up many sources.
I did get a bit thirsty on another weekend trip and ended up treating water from a small trickle in the Sunrise Creek, Red Rock Mountain area. The creek channel itself was bone dry. That was a pleasant trip that I might post as well. Certainly no people in the Sunrise Creek drainage and no visible trail.I had to do a little bushwacking to get over to Landers Creek and the well used trail along it.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great trip report & photos. A friend and I did a trip in the same area (but from Long Canyon trailhead) back in 2009, including summiting Siligo Peak, and I love that area.

Too bad about the cold. I've had a few nights out when my sleeping bag was inadequate (or once, doing an overnight with my son, when I forgot his sleeping bag and had to give him mine), and it's really miserable.
The views to the west and south were nice, but the ridge line to the northeast that separated Echo Lake from Billy-Be-Damn Lake was impressive enough to remove any thoughts I had of taking the off-trail route to that curiously named lake.
We came over the ridge from Billy-Be-Damn Lake and it was not fun...lots of steep loose stuff on the north side.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

TehipiteTom wrote:Great trip report & photos. A friend and I did a trip in the same area (but from Long Canyon trailhead) back in 2009, including summiting Siligo Peak, and I love that area.

Too bad about the cold. I've had a few nights out when my sleeping bag was inadequate (or once, doing an overnight with my son, when I forgot his sleeping bag and had to give him mine), and it's really miserable.
The views to the west and south were nice, but the ridge line to the northeast that separated Echo Lake from Billy-Be-Damn Lake was impressive enough to remove any thoughts I had of taking the off-trail route to that curiously named lake.
We came over the ridge from Billy-Be-Damn Lake and it was not fun...lots of steep loose stuff on the north side.
Good to know about Billy-Be-Damn Lake, as I was thinking about including it in a future hike. That name is hard to resist.

I was tired of either just sleeping on top of my bag or leaving it in its sack and using it as a very heavy pillow. Of course as soon as I didn't bring it, it was very much needed.