The Wasatch - a 1.5 year trip report

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

The Wasatch - a 1.5 year trip report

Post by rams »

Ever since moving from southern CA to Salt Lake City in summer 2015, I've been making the most of the incredibly easy access to decent mountains, where 30 minutes can get me into an alpine environment from a (sort of) major city, whether it's hiking in the summer or skiing any of more than 10 nearby mountains (if you count the Logan and Ogden areas).

It's a double-edged sword, though, as such easy access has made it MUCH harder to find the solitude that a several-hour drive to the Sierra used to get me. I started reading this board again given that we're moving back to CA this summer and after reading so much about Mammoth's snowfall (the last time I skied there was when they had 5% of normal snowpack, though I also fondly remember the 2010/2011 winter).

In appreciation of the environment I'll be returning to, I thought I'd leave some shots from the most crowded mountain range I've hiked where many, maybe most, places have overflowing parking lots after 10 AM on a weekend, even earlier for popular places like Mt. Timpanogos. Here, I've used my imagination and a little (ok, a lot of) effort to pretend I'm in an unspoiled (or at least less-spoiled), off-the-beaten trail environment like I used to be in the Sierra. I've posted these pics on "other" websites during my time here but am putting them on this board for "other" mountain ranges (as it states in the board's description) in case anyone here finds themselves in the Wasatch and needs a (very) tiny taste of the High Sierra. Remember to use your imagination if you come out to the Wasatch (Uintas are a different story).
20160704_082749-1 (2)-min.jpg
2016-07-04 16.48.35-1-min.jpg
IMGP4813-1-2-min.jpg
IMGP4857-1-3-1-min.jpg
IMGP4607-1-1-2-min.jpg
IMGP1665-2 (2)-min.jpg
IMGP5236-1-min.jpg
IMGP6224 (2)-min.JPG
IMGP6053-1-min.jpg
IMGP5338-2-min.jpg
IMGP4537-2 (2)-min.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rams
Topix Acquainted

Re: The Wasatch - a 1.5 year trip report

Post by rams »

a few more
20161023_134735-5-min.jpg
2016-10-01 18.51.00-1 (2)-min.jpg
IMGP7896 (2)-min.JPG
20160430_110428-1-min.jpg
2016-08-22 08.11.42-min.jpg
IMGP7927 (4)-min.JPG
IMGP1345-1-min.jpg
IMGP7847 (2)-min.JPG
IMGP8223 (2)-min.JPG
IMGP8124 (2)-min.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Beautiful pics! The sedimentary and metamorphic/sedemantary layers of ranges in the Rockies have a beauty all their own. Thanks.
rhyang
Topix Regular

Post by rhyang »

Thanks for a glimpse of your time spent there. I'll remember your thoughts the next time I'm in traffic to or from the Sierra :)
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I didn't think Yosemite Valley could be challenged in terms of crowds. It makes Old Faithful in Yellowstone look empty in comparison.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

I just came over to this board to post about the Wasatch! I was in Midway for a research conference for three weeks in the summer of 2016 and I did one overnight at Silver Glance and a two nighter in the High Uintas. My report on the trip to Silver Glance is up already, but I'm still writing the one about the High Uintas. I totally feel you on the overcrowding. I elected to skip Timp because of that. I don't need to battle dozens of people on a windswept ridge just to stand on the highest spot. Instead, I chose Silver Glance so I could look at it while sitting by myself :P I *love* your wildflower photos from the Uintas... I was a bit off catching the full bloom there. Here are a couple of photos!

ImageSunrise at Silver Glance by Maia Averett, on Flickr

ImageSilver Glance by Maia Averett, on Flickr

ImageCamp on a ledge above Middle Basin by Maia Averett, on Flickr

ImageGorgeous meadows in Middle Basin by Maia Averett, on Flickr
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

Thanks for the comments. Beautiful pics Maia!