When the Levee Breaks

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Fresno Co Levee

Post by maverick »

Fresno Co Sheriff's Dept:
The Fresno County Sheriff’s is working with members of the California Office of Emergency Services, Cal Fire, Fresno County Public Works and the Tranquillity Irrigation District to monitor a potential hazardous situation in an area northwest of the town of Tranquillity. All agencies are focused on a weakened levee that sits in the area of the Fresno Slough, where the San Joaquin River and Kings River meet. Crews are monitoring this spot 24 hours a day. As a precaution, the Sheriff’s Office has issued evacuation advisories to approximately 80 homes to let them know they could face a possible flood situation if the levee were to break. Early projections show that water, two to three feet deep, would most likely flow to an area west of the town of Tranquillity. Those impacted would be in the areas bordered by Manning Ave., James Road., Tuolumne Ave. and the Fresno Slough. The Fresno County Sheriff’s Office will provide updates to residents through social media, Everbridge and the local media if there are any major changes with the levee.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: When the Levee Breaks

Post by ERIC »

Nice catch, mav. This is still pretty obscure news but I'm sure interest will grow very soon. In my opinion there's a pretty solid correlation between this and a subsidence report (JPL and DWR) that just came out last week. There's a major new deformation bulls-eye (literally) overlying the troubled levee area. Complicating the matter, the levee isn't certified and is between two systems that are (Kings River to CA-145) and the State Plan of Flood Control going north from Mendota Pool. It's not really maintained (because they don't have to) and thus is Swiss cheese to begin with. Big law suits in 1996 when it last broke. I assume this year will be just as bad or worse.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I've not read every word in this thread so pardon if I'm repeating someone else. But in all the hubbub over Oroville, there has been very little attention to Don Pedro which is less than 4 feet from it's top (see https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=11287500 , the top is 830 feet). The Tuolumne and San Joaquin below the dam don't have much in the way of capacity. Let's hope there is not another dam topping and subsequent flood like in '97.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

TID is spilling water out of Don Pedro starting at 3 p.m. today for approx. 4 days. Flooding is expected in Modesto and along the San Joaquin River below Vernalis tomorrow. It should be much milder than '97, but it is really pouring here in the SE SF Bay area today so that doesn't bode well. See http://www.modbee.com/news/article133854629.html for more.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wettest drought ever.
rlown
Topix Docent

Evacuations ordered amid heavy Northern California rain

Post by rlown »

Full story at: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/66921 ... artslide=0
SAN FRANCISCO — Evacuations were ordered in Northern California on Monday and flash-flood warnings were issued elsewhere as downpours swelled creeks and rivers to potentially dangerous levels in the already soggy region.

A levee break along the San Joaquin River prompted an evacuation order for about 500 people living in mainly ranch and farmlands near Manteca, San Joaquin County authorities said.

The gap was filled and the leak halted Monday night but the evacuations and a flash flood warning remained in effect into Tuesday morning.

Crews worked Monday night to patch the breach, which followed an earlier warning that the river was approaching the top of levees and could remain at that level for four days.

"When the water gets that high and more water is coming, there is just too much pressure and levees can break," said Tim Daly, a spokesman with the San Joaquin County Office of Emergency Services.

In Monterey County, people living along a section of the Carmel River were told to leave, as were those in a neighborhood of Salinas near Santa Rita Creek and a few people in rural Royal Oaks, where a mudslide encroached on a home.

In Lake County, northwest of Sacramento, about 100 homes in two mobile home parks and nearby streets were ordered evacuated because nearby Clear Lake was a foot above flood stage, county Sheriff Brian Martin said.
And I tend to agree..
Lumbergh21 wrote:Wettest drought ever.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

In Lake County, northwest of Sacramento, about 100 homes in two mobile home parks and nearby streets were ordered evacuated because nearby Clear Lake was a foot above flood stage, county Sheriff Brian Martin said.
I know this has happened before. Don't understand why structures are allowed within a floodplain, then public money used to help repair the damage.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

you can build in a flood plain and play the flood insurance game. Right up there with earthquake insurance.. I need some trees falling on my property insurance.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

rlown wrote:you can build in a flood plain and play the flood insurance game. Right up there with earthquake insurance.. I need some trees falling on my property insurance.
Isn't that covered as an act if God?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

umbrella policy maybe. I don't believe act of Dog is covered.. we all have our belief system. I had 2 75' oaks come down. One ripped into the top and side of my camper.. Other didn't hit anyone as it came down on the road. This was about 5 years ago. Expensive and not covered..

Flood insurance is mandatory on most flood plains now in CA. As I don't live in one (flood plain), I have other issues like how to deal with runoff.