Badlands NP Defies Trump Administration On Climate Change

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Badlands NP Defies Trump Administration On Climate Chang

Post by Jimr »

I think we all need to smoke a bit of pot and chill the F out. Then, perhaps when we stop trying to demonize each other start some dialogue with the sincere intent of finding some mutual ground where we can move forward as a nation with some semblance of common goals, even though we may disagree upon the means.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I'll let you smoke the pot. That is not my thing.

Now make it a couple fingers of good single malt then I am in.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

dave54 wrote:
sambieni wrote:...
Define mainstream media?
Alt media and fake news are any source you do not follow.

Isn't that the new normal, the new acceptable now? Demonize everyone with an opinion different from yours?

What ever happened to 'I may disagree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it'?
Where has we agree to disagree but remain friends gone?

I am disgusted with the whole nation now -- left and right. A pox on both their houses.
Did not actually answer the question, but carry on.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

sambieni wrote:Define mainstream media?
Alt media and fake news are any source you do not follow.
Did not actually answer the question, but carry on.
I actually thought it was a very clever answer in an oblique kind of way. Defining something in the negative can be characterized as "I know bad art when I see it." Of course, the entire exercise is reduced to the subjective ie the person(s) making the evaluation/claim. However, in order to reach & influence broader audiences, it's first necessary to introduce simpler dogmatic slogans & labels.

So, since we're dealing in a realm that often time lacks objective truth, let's take this definition out for a spin to see how well it works:
Mainstream/alt media is that which one doesn't follow and/or agree with.
The absolute key to making division work is to ensure people are neither exposed nor amenable towards alternative points of view. It really works best if you can agitate a mob that rejects all rationale consideration, and get them running like the bulls @ Pamplona.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

My answer was firmly tongue in cheek hyperbole,
since demonizing opponents is now common. I have seen the New York Times, WSJ, and NPR labeled as fake news sites because of their political slant. (Just because you do not agree with the tone of an article does not make the source fake).
I have grown weary of all the hatred and insults from both sides. My own brother has refused to talk to my other brother over the candidate each supported. I just unfollowed a long time friend on Facebook because he posts nothing but extreme left wing rants and insults anyone who is not rabidly anti-Trump. I hated to do that to a long time friend, but I finally decided I need to eliminate that much darkness on my FB feeds. I am also blocking anti right posts. I would dump my account entirely but it is how my far flung family keeps in touch.

My hope is all this hate fades in a few months. I despair it will not.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

"Log off and get outdoors! "

Time for a bit of your own medicine. Not rubbing it in at all.. Sage advice!! Facebook sucks time. Better to use the phone and have conversations.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I have to say to riown. That's good advice.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

rlown wrote:"... Better to use the phone and have conversations.

Agree. I seem to be the last person on the planet that believes texting is NOT a form of communication.

I did get out today. I went hiking in the hills above Chloride, AZ. Found lots of really old petroglyphs. Old enough that desert varnish had begun reclaiming them and were almost completely faded and covered by brush.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

dave54 wrote:I did get out today. I went hiking in the hills above Chloride, AZ. Found lots of really old petroglyphs. Old enough that desert varnish had begun reclaiming them and were almost completely faded and covered by brush.
Great! Did you take any pictures? Can you post a report? This is the "Beyond the Sierra" section.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.