Snowmageddon!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Snowmageddon!

Post by oldranger »

While not comparable to the Sierra we have had over 4 feet of snow fall over the past month with maybe 2 days getting over freezing during that time. The snow has compacted down to a measurable 3 feet in my back yard. It took me 3 days to shovel off the roof and by the time I was completed there was 10" of new on the portion I completed the first day. Several roofs have collapsed in Bend over the last couple of days and we are now in a respite from new snow but it remains cold and when it is expected to warm up rain is predicted so loads on roofs are likely to increase. Now I get to start shoveling snow away from the house. Luckily I have a great backdoor neighbor who has used his quad to help with plowing my two driveways, one for the cars and one for the boat! So far this year we have not received mail on 4 days when delivery has been scheduled and on several days the usual 4 pm delivery did not occur until after 8. Unfortunately some people have not dug out a path to their mail boxes so the mail man has had to get out and mush through 4 to 6 ft wide berms to get to the mailbox.
DSC_0221.jpg
DSC_0227.jpg
DSC_0225.jpg
DSC_0228.jpg
IMG_2108.jpg
I know many Californians are facing much worse problems than I am and if you are of those I am hoping for the best!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snowmageddon!

Post by markskor »

Nice shovel work Mike,
Double the berm height...maybe 15' of snow piled up roadside... and you have Mammoth today...dumping right now. BTW. Roof snow shown about 4 feet deep.
IMG_1101.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Was hoping to see Mark chime in to see the comparison.
These posts are some of the reasons I will stay in a dryer and warmer area, visiting and hiking in snowy areas is fine, but living in it, nope.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Actually getting 4 to 6 hours a day of shoveling, walking up and down laders etc. Is saving me money on gym membership. I lived in Mammoth in the winter of 82-83. Much easier living in Mammoth than in Bend because the condo complex took care of shoveling and clearing parking lot and the road crews are much better prepared. All I had to do was shovel 2- 3 feet of snow off my car every other morning that winter.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

4'-6' on the ground here in South Tahoe....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

Great reminder why I love living in San Diego........Snow was great when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota but, as an adult, I try my best not to deal with it.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

4'-6' on the ground here in South Tahoe....
Any photos of the current conditions that you could share Jeff?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Anybody that remembers the horrid drought winters a few years ago is not complaining one bit. Should be a magnificent year for paddling!
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center has 63" of snow.

TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I just got done with a quick snow blow, throwing about 0.5' of lite powder from this a.m.
There is around 4' on the natural ground, and the plow berm is 5'-6'.
Keep in mind I live at the start of the 'Banana Belt' on the east shore which gets less snow.
In Myers and Christmas Valley there is more like 6' on natural ground.
Some folks haven't seen a plow in 2-3 days and are basically stranded.
They just called no school tomorrow, making it the whole week off due to weather, right after 2 weeks of holiday vacation!!!
Their are a lot of us parents getting BIG time cabin fever with these kids stuck inside for so long....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman