TR: Swift Creek Loop, August 2016

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Swift Creek Loop, August 2016

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I had a short but educational backpacking trip on August 5 – 7 I learned that I am in no condition to do 20-mile days in the Sierras. I also learned that the Trinity Alps have some beautiful alpine meadows and white granite peaks. The trip started at the Swift Creek trailhead. There were two picturesque meadows, Parker Meadow with Foster’s Cabin and Mumford Meadow, along the way to Horseshoe Lake, the headwaters of Swift Creek and the end of the trail. After a short break at Horseshoe Lake I backtracked half a mile to the Ward Lake trail junction. A short 1-mile hike brought me to Ward Lake and my campsite for the night. An older couple had the site in the trees above the marsh at the head of the lake, but the guy told me there were a couple of small sites on the peninsula that juts out into the lake. I set up camp and settled in with a good book for an hour or so until the sun had descended, hidden entirely by the rocky crags surrounding the lake, and the stars began to come out. The Milky Way was beautiful as always, and I caught sight of one falling star in the hour or so before I fell asleep.
Parker Meadow.jpg
Foster's Cabin.jpg
Mumford Meadow.jpg
Mumford Meadow Flowers.jpg
Saturday was a beast. It started with a climb of around 500 feet up and over a ridge that separates the Swift Creek drainage from the South Fork of the Salmon River and Trinity County from Siskiyou County. That was followed by a long steep descent down to the uppermost reach of the South Fork of the Salmon. Shortly after heading south at the trail junction, I saw three young men headed the other way with huge packs. The trail is near a dirt road with several vacation homes at the outlet of Josephine Lake, which is probably where they were coming from. After stopping for water at the Salmon River (which I could straddle at this point it was so small), I began a climb of 1,750 feet up and back into Trinity County. I met a couple of young ladies headed the other way with butterfly nets attached to their packs. At the top of the climb was another open meadow that led up to a 7,620-foot incisor on the Sawtooth Ridge. It was only about 340 feet above me and would have been an easy walk across a wide open sloping meadow, but I needed to make some miles, as it was already afternoon.
Looking back to the Swift Creek canyon from the ridge above Ward Lake.jpg
From Ridge Above Ward Lake.jpg
Top of Sawtooth Ridge.jpg
Sawtooth Ridge.jpg
Now began another knee shattering descent of 1,740 feet down, down, down. At the bottom, I turned back east and began following the trail up Deer Creek, gaining back a little of the elevation that I had just given up. I stopped at Deer Creek Camp for a much needed lunch break…at 3:30. After refreshing a bit in Deer Creek, I began my third and longest climb of the day, gaining 2,300 feet to the ridge coming off the north shoulder of Seven Up Peak. I was rewarded with more alpine meadows, springs, and views of Deer Creek Canyon to the south and north and Sawtooth Ridge to the west. I descended into Bear Basin, finally coming to a campsite alongside Bear Creek at 6:30. Clouds were piling up to the north and east, and I was treated to a different light show this night. Lightening lit up the sky off in the distance as I drifted off to sleep.
Top of the Bear Creek drainage.jpg
I rose earlier than I wanted to and was on the trail by 7:00. It was all downhill from here back to the Swift Creek trailhead. Around 7:45, I passed another campsite with three tents set up – slackers, still sleeping at 7:45 :rolleyes: :D . Soon after, I came to one more magnificent meadow with grass and flowers stretching from Bear Creek on my left to the steep canyon walls on my right. I made it back to the Swift Creek Trail by 8:30 and arrived back at my car at 10:30. Swift Creek begged to be visited several times on the way back, but I had run out of time. Maybe some other day.
Looking up the drainage from Bear Basin Meadow.jpg
Bear Basin Meadow.jpg
The trip was fairly isolated as I only saw a total of seven other hikers besides the three tents on Sunday morning. The views from the lakes and high ridges were awesome and the meadows with flowers in bloom were a pleasant surprise. There was still some snow, but none near the trail. Even though the total distance hiked was only 30 miles – according to my tracing on Cal topo – I would recommend taking a bit more time on this loop than I did in order to enjoy the sites and maybe go on a few side trips along the Sawtooth Ridge or up Tri Forest Peak for instance. There are several established campsites that would allow flexibility on where to camp each night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lumbergh21 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Swift Creek Loop, August 2016

Post by rlown »

Nice report.

My friends and I did the part of your trip up to Ward, both up Swift creek to Ward lk and then out 8 days later, and then 2 days later out of Oak flat cg to Ward again to recover the bear meat. It was a backpack hunting trip. Only difference in our trip was hiking out the 300 lb bear, head and hide back down swift creek, and then the meat up and over that nasty ridge and then the nastier downhill on the north side of the pass between the drainages.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Swift Creek Loop, August 2016

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Yep, the downhill on the other side is a knee breaker. I hope you had more than just one person to help you. Your description just made me realize something else. Every bear my grandfather ever shot, or at least every one where he pointed out where he shot it, was above a road. He never had to haul it up more than 10 feet or so from the drainage along the road once he got it down the mountainside. He was always on his own on his bear hunting trips, so I wonder if that was intentional or just lucky? Guess I'll never know since he died 30 years ago when I was still a kid.