Snow!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow!

Post by oldranger »

Well it finally stopped! 14" on top of 5" already on the ground. Temp hasn't risen above 20 degrees in 4 days and is currently 17 and projected down to -8 tonight.
Snow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

I'm super jealous!!! South Tahoe has just gotten rain the last few days. The lake did get 8 billion gallons of H20 in two days though....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

What year Outback Mike? Do you like it and how long have you had it?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Here in Mammoth so far...windy and 25º right now.
Heavy rain in town yesterday - turning to wet snow late last night. This morning, maybe 12" to shovel out the Jeep, but 39" - 56" new Sierra cement up on the hill.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

We have it good out here, folks in Minnesota will be dealing with -40F this coming Sunday.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've done a night in -20 in a bag in Minnesota.. It's very interesting; was on a lake just off shore and the cracking of the ice was somewhat calming.
So is starting a '73 Chevy in that weather. takes a bit for the valves to work, or getting the oil in the differentials to be liquid.

This is also interesting:

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sinpFURduik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Quite disappointing, "only" 0 this am at 7, though some friends reported -8 at their house.

Mav, It is a 2016 bought last Feb. after Kathy informed me she wanted the 4 Runner to pull our little travel trailer when I was backpacking during the summer. I wanted a vehicle that could get to any TH in the Sierra or the Sawtooths and the old Prius, as economical it was to drive just didn't hack it. Actually we figured that milage wise we might actually do better between the two vehicles since we wouldn't have to use the 4 Runner as much during the winter. We really enjoy having two snow capable vehicles. During the worst of the recent storm we decided to go have a beer and lucnch with another couple and the Subaru with michelin Ice-x tires did just fine- never a hint that we were near getting stuck despite plowing through snow that would have high centered many most of it's competitors--even those with awd. We also drove it through Titus Canyon in Death valley this fall though I didn't think it was particularly challenging. The technology in the Subaru, with adaptive cruise control and blind spot warning is pretty sweet, too, especially for an old guy who admits he is not as sharp as he used to be. I think it is, hands down, the best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4 runner is #2 but I wish it had a higher towing capacity. The new GMC Diesel Canyon is beginning to tempt me as a tow vehicle for the boat and travel trailer. It has about 2000 more pounds of towing capacity and gets better gas milage. Downside is it costs 10,000 more than the 4 Runner, and I don't think it will fit in the garage!

By the way it's really is fun driving in these conditions. You have about as much control at 20 mph as a NASCAR driver does at 200 mph--but the consequences of screwing up at 20 are a little less serious than at 200.
Last edited by oldranger on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

My yard is sloped. I swear I saw salmon spawning up my lawn the other day.

Whatever remaining snow that was in the yard is now gone. And I discovered my 47 year old roof finally sprung a leak(actually multiple leaks).. So I must now figure out how to pay for a new roof next spring, and make some jury rig repairs in the meantime.

9 degrees this morning. Did not get above 30 today. On the plus side, drove to Reno for some shopping, and on the trip down saw about a dozen pronghorn grazing along the road, their breath visible in the cold. Sorry, no pictures.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

put up the blue tarp of shame yet? ;)