Winter is coming- now what?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Npike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Winter is coming- now what?

Post by Npike »

Just curious where everyone here goes backpacking during the winter months? I assume many of you continue to take trips to the Sierra, but I also assume many of us don't have the knowledge/ gear/ experience to venture there during the winter. So just curious where some alternative spots are. Death Valley? Joshua tree? Spots in the Sierra that are pretty mild year round? I know the itch won't go away for me, so I'd like to plan severalweekend trips before the snow up north melts
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter is coming- now what?

Post by stevet »

Head to Arizona. Grand Canyon. Superstitions. Santa Catalinas. Saguaro. Mazatzal. Chiricahua. Santa Ritas. Maybe some cold, maybe some snow. But overall awesome hiking throughout the state all winter long.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Since you reside in SoCal, hit the desserts, Joshua Tree, DV, and Mojave, you also have several NF north and east of you worth visiting.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

I get my skis out
Npike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Npike »

Arizona sounds like a good idea, never been to the Grand Canyon (I know, living so close and having never been there is a crime). Looking forward to exploring Death Valley a bit, need to do some reading on where to start!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Winter is for snow skiing! Major, enormous, exciting FUN! I've already got this coming winter's season pass.

I've had winter snow camping gear for a couple decades though have not used it much and pretty much gave up on persuing that activity. Logistics are difficult, winter gear gets heavy, and bearing the cold at night gets old. Try holding up a book with your hands outside your sleeping bag for even an hour while temps are 10F degree! If I lived in the mountains I would pursue it.

Otherwise down south in the deserts there are lots of interesting places though November through January the night is boringly long long long. The notion of sleeping 13 to 14 hours during the endless night ain't going to happen so one needs to have an activity to fill the time. Latter February is the only winter month I would consider backpacking in our deserts as the dark period decreases and landscapes also starts to green up during wet winters.
mediauras
Topix Acquainted

Post by mediauras »

Yes! Skiing! I hear the mountains may get a little dusting this weekend, my sticks are waxed and ready. :)
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Surfing? My backyard:

http://1.swellstory.surfline.com/
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I just hike. Plenty of places to go. If there is snow, I hike with snowshoes on. If there is surf, my shoes get wet.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

splitboarding the east side! can't tell you how bad i want some winter!