Off to Wyoming!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Off to Wyoming!

Post by rlown »

that is a LOT of fish..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... G_5760.jpg[/rimg]
Where I caught it

Sorry about the wrong photo -moderators- delete the previous post
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

no bears up on the slopes eating moths? tis' the season for that.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

No bears, but there was fresh bear poop at that lake. This lake is managed by the Federal Fish and Wildlife (for the Wind River Indian Reservation). They stock this lake every 4 years. They suspect that most of the small fish are eaten by the big ones. I have never seen a small fish in this lake. Nothing under 12 inches.

The entire attitude of these guys is SO different from that in California. They are not in the business of taking fish out of lakes. In fact, I showed them fish I caught in a set of lakes that are "preferred" to stay barren, but just said "so be it" so few people go there anyway, they will just leave it be. They were also delighted that the fish are doing well. Really great guys.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

very nice... next stop.. Wyoming.. the truck needs a good stretch on her legs..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Two fishery biologists told me that the fish is a Yellowstone Cutthroat. The red on the head is blood (my blood) not the fish color. I smashed my hand landing this guy.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wondered. a lot of blood. More than just what a fish can produce.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Best thing is that if you are over 60, a reservation crossing permit (that also is your fishing license) is only $65 for an annual permit for out-of-state. That also have week and day permits at very reasonable prices. State of Wyo has NO senior price discounts for out-of-state fishermen, and nothing but a daily or annual permit (nearly $120 annual, $14 per day). Fishing on the reservation is awesome - lots of lakes like this one.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Wandering Daisy wrote:The red on the head is blood (my blood) not the fish color. I smashed my hand landing this guy.
Probably so excited you barely felt a thing. :D
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

I just returned from my last trip in the Wind Rivers- 11 day loop from Elkhart TH. The weather was more "normal" Wind River weather after the heat and exceptionally good weather of the previous three trips. By "normal" I mean windy, cool, freezing at night and some afternoon storms; we even had a bit of snow last night. I was actually happy to have it cool down. A few times we smelled smoke but overall we were not affected by the fires. An eccentric, old NOLS friend of mine from Lander joined me. The route was long, crossed one glacier, and went down into grizzly country, so was not one I wanted to do alone. Overall it was a good trip. The first four days was in the very popular Titcomb Basin (rainy weather), then three nights in the North Fork of Bull Lake Creek via Indian Pass (Knifepoint Glacier). This area is remote, seldom used (we saw nobody) and full of elk and bears in the lower stretches. The wind howled the whole time. We returned over Indian Pass spent one night in Indian Basin, then exited via Pole Creek (Wall Lake, Cook Lakes). It was interesting to go from the most visited area of the Wind Rivers to one of the least visited. I did no fishing on this trip, mainly because the fishing license needed was too expensive. Again, I will do a full trip report when I get home next Wed. Anyway, I am out, safe, with no major injuries (I did fall flat on my face a few times and have battle bruises from bushwhacking - par for the course).