San Jacinto 5/15/16

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

San Jacinto 5/15/16

Post by overheadx2 »

Wanted to get a little hiking in and decided to take the wife on a overnighter to try out some new stuff. We had been talking about taking the palm springs tram and doing an overnighter so that's where we went.

The tram ride was a lot of fun and the area is beautiful, but the designated camping area was a little crowded. We ended up hiking a little ways further than the crowds and found a nice camping spot all to ourselves. The next day some friends came up and we hiked San Jacinto Peak. Great hike, but again, a little crowded.

The interesting thing was we had our friends set up their tents in the next campsite over, and upon returning from our hike we found a boy scout group had set up camp in the next camp over and not finding enough room in their area they had set up a tent in our campsite about 15 feet from my friend. Not a huge problem since we ended up hanging out at my area which was about 20 yards from his but still amazing that any one especially boy scouts would even think to set up so close to some one else's tent. The next day we decided to do some off trail hiking to test out my Gaia GPS app on my IPhone and we headed up to the top of Cornell Peak.

The app worked great (probably dump the Garmin). There was very little water, so you had to hike about 1/2 mile to the long valley creek in order to get water. Seems like a great place to X country ski or snow shoe in the winter!