Advice on trips in Northern Utah?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice on trips in Northern Utah?

Post by maiathebee »

I'm going to be in Miday, UT for three weeks this summer (late July-early Aug). I've yet to find a resource as good as these boards for that area, so I thought I'd take a stab at asking for advice here in the hopes that some of y'all (Daisy??) have some experience there. I will have a car and am looking for advice on pretty much everything from day hikes to short-ish backpacking trips. I am interested in the High Uintas and would like to make a 2-3 night loop around there, as well as maybe some overnighters in the Wasatch area. I haven't been able to find a good map that has trail mileages, so planning has been a bit murky. Help!

I am a level 3.5 backpacker, but since I'll be new to northern Utah and I'll be solo, I'd like to stick mostly to trails. I like big mountain scenery and lakes. Typically I aim for 12 mile days.

(I've seen http://www.wasatchhiker.com/ and it's great, but a bit overwhelming!)

Thanks in advance!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Advice on trips in Northern Utah?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sorry, I am no help. I have not done anything in the Unitas. When I lived in Utah I was going to grad school and had my head buried in books. I did do a day-hike to the top of the Wellsvilles from Logan Utah. Good view but not necessarily the best hike available in the area.

You could get a map of the Uintas and just start "google'ing" the names of lakes you think look good. You may bump into a nice trip report. That is the way I start out with a new mountain range.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice on trips in Northern Utah?

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org