Trinity Alps snow conditions: Any guesses?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trinity Alps snow conditions: Any guesses?

Post by cefire »

Hello all,

Being a transplant from out-of-state and therefore not knowing what a "normal-ish" snow year looks like in NorCal, I wanted to see if anyone had guesses as to what the Trinity Alps might look like in early April.

Specifically, I'm looking at Grizzly Lake but at 7000' my strong suspicion is that we're talking several feet of snow this year...
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Re: Trinity Alps snow conditions: Any guesses?

Post by Willythedog »

I talked to the ranger yesterday, snow levels start around 4500-5000 feet now depending on north/ south facing..... When I was up in the area couple weeks ago all the higher peaks were pretty covered.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/
I can't vouch for how accurate this is but I've been keeping an eye on this. (You need google earth)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Specifically, I'm looking at Grizzly Lake but at 7000' my strong suspicion is that we're talking several feet of snow this year...
Your suspicions are spot on.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Thanks! \:D/